• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Bl**dy French Cars

andyjstone

Took the Pug to Bedford Autodrome today to try it out after I spent the last month or so putting together and upgrading all the front suspension and brakes.

Worked well for a while then one of the brand new drive shafts starting spitting out grease from god knows where, then it started knocking and then it started playing the drums - ended up on the back of an RAC truck - again, backed it on to the drive and it hit the big bass drum and won't move at all under it's own power.

Back to the drawing board again - I wouldn't mind if it wasn't a brand new part that had only done the miles to get to the track :lol:

Atari Boy

French cars a habit of going wrong, even when they have new parts fitted.

I know how you feel, try and stick with it.

andyjstone
French cars a habit of going wrong, even when they have new parts fitted.

I know how you feel, try and stick with it.

I know, I know, but just when I thought I'd finished the front end and could move on to the back, I've got to start all over again.

And now I'm wondering:

1. Was it a knackered drive shaft from new

2. Did I fit it wrong - although I can't quite workout how

3. Was it just one of those annoying Pug things sent to try us

At least I didn't blow another engine up :lol:

Edited by andyjstone

welshpug

which bit broke? was it a recognised brand like GKN?

andyjstone
which bit broke? was it a recognised brand like GKN?

That's the other thing, I was told GKN was the best, so I went out of my way to get GKN!

I haven't checked as it was dark when I got back, but I think it was the inner CV joint on the passenger side shaft (the short one).

welshpug

I'd whip it out (don't forget the tub for the gear oil) and take it back for a replacement!

andyjstone
I'd whip it out (don't forget the tub for the gear oil) and take it back for a replacement!

Yep, I'm going to give that a go - shouldn't take me too long to find out where the problem is as I found a big rivet in a pool of grease on the drive after I put it in the garage :lol:

hengti

hopefully it's just a material failure or something

disappointing, though

Tom Fenton

It sounds like lack of grease has spelled the end for it, I'd certainly take it back though as you do not expect a new driveshaft to be leaking grease. Trackdays do put a lot of heat into the shafts from the brakes and everything gets super hot, I find it pays to have the boots off even healthy shafts and re grease them every now and then.

andyjstone
It sounds like lack of grease has spelled the end for it, I'd certainly take it back though as you do not expect a new driveshaft to be leaking grease. Trackdays do put a lot of heat into the shafts from the brakes and everything gets super hot, I find it pays to have the boots off even healthy shafts and re grease them every now and then.

Yes, but these were BRAND NEW!!!

Anyway, this was what was left on my drive if anyone wants to identify it:

rivet-1.jpg

yorkshirekowboy
Yes, but these were BRAND NEW!!!

Anyway, this was what was left on my drive if anyone wants to identify it:

rivet-1.jpg

that to me looks like the end of the drive shaft where the three rollers are (spider i think its called)???