• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Standard Ride Height

dch1950

Morning all,

I am in week 2 of my gentle rebuild of the rear beam and brakes of my 1.6. Prior to starting I measured the static loaded ride height (from the wheel centre to wheel arch trim) for both sides , as I liked the current ride height. It was 330mm -LHS and 320 - RHS.

Subsequent dismantling of the car showed what I had suspected, the near side arm hardly moved and offside was seized solid. (aah - thats why I got the lower reading of 320mm I thought to myself!).

"New" beam goes in with no problems and the topic of the day becomes the restoration of the ride height I favour.

T/B's out, ARB disconnected, shocks out of the way. We're ready.

I set the stub axle height to 340mm on the basis that the suspension would drop when under load. Pop under the car and set and lock the dummy shock and remove it to check the C/C measurement. It's 290mm - this is low, especially considering it would reduce further with hubs,wheels, etc in place as the suspension compresses.

I am now wondering what strategy to take. First thing I am going to do this morning is fit the the drums and pop the wheels on to see where they sit (albeit hanging under there own weight as car is on stands). What I want to know (if possible) is how much the suspension height drops under free standing but loaded conditions (i.e I've lowered it off the stands).

I also notice that Haynes quotes one measurement point for the suspension (section 11-Chapter 9) but doesn't say where the other one is (handily). To remove the TB's etc and reset is not difficult (alll splines are cleaned, brushed and greased!)

but I am a little puzzled by what ride height value(s) being quoted refer to which measuring point(s)

regards

Dave H

PS - I have owned and maintained my own cars for many years but owning a PUG is always a first and ALWAYS presents something you haven't come across before.

Tom Fenton

You are going about it backwards. Set the distance between the damper pins, fit torsion bars, then put the wheels on and lower the car to the floor. Then measure the ride height by whatever method you like- your way is wheel centre to wheelarch. Then if you are not happy, jack up, pull the bars, and adjust the damper pins spacing to get the ride height you want. If you want standard ride I'd start with 325mm between damper pin centres and see how you go.

dch1950

Hi Tom,

I see that it's personal choice. So what is standard ride height and where would Mr Haynes or PUG measure it from?

I will go back and start (as you suggest) with 325mm C2C though - Thanx

regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi All,

Just as a reference this is how mine looks when set at 315mm between pin centres.

Thanx for your help. Dave