• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

3 Wheel Nuts

andyjstone

Just discovered that one of my hubs has a stripped wheel nut thread and I'm going on a track day on Monday.

The third nut does hold, just can't get it fully torqued up, do you think it's safe to take on the track??

EdCherry

I wouldn't personally, im sure Miles or someone can sort you out even if its only temporary. I have a set of 1.6 hubs if you sold yours already, last resort really as you have to change alot back.

andyjstone
I wouldn't personally, im sure Miles or someone can sort you out even if its only temporary. I have a set of 1.6 hubs if you sold yours already, last resort really as you have to change alot back.

I'm a but gutted really, I've literally just finished rebuilding the whole front end, everything nice and new and shiny and Monday was going to be it's first proper outing :)

Tom Fenton

If you absolutely can't sort it out, then as a last resort I'd maybe risk it :)

hengti

personally, wouldn't risk it. apart from anything happening, it'd be on my mind all day long

it was a bit frantic, but i managed to source, fetch and fit a steering column for a bankholiday sprint through a weekend's activity on here - maybe someone will be able to help out? this forum's great for things like that

ed. just spotted your wanted thread - good luck :)

Edited by hengti

Miles

I;ve got a wheel bearing, and the centre of the hub so at least you can keep the main part

If you pop down tomorrow afternoon I can swap the bearingover for you

Cloverleaf

You could get put a stud in and weld it on the back and get a wheel nut. Maybe from an old ford or something? Might be an option as a temporary fix.

All Praise The GTI

front id be cautious off but i did that full day at cadwell with 3 in my rear near side. first thing that morning swapping to track tyres one sheared off as i was undoing it :) . needless to say it didnt fall off lol

andyjstone
I;ve got a wheel bearing, and the centre of the hub so at least you can keep the main part

If you pop down tomorrow afternoon I can swap the bearingover for you

You are the man!

This might sound like a silly question, but do I need to take the hub off or just bring the car down?

I'll give you a call tomorrow.

rapidcossie

im sure it would be cool as long the other 3 are spot on

sounds of silence

get it flat out :P

will be fine so long as the other 3 are perfect B)

rapidcossie
get it flat out :P

will be fine so long as the other 3 are perfect B)

stop copying what i said david, you know nothing

Fox

I had one come loose on the rear, the other three kept coming loose, every ten miles or so.

It was bad on the road, never mind the track!

lagonda

You could put Loctite on the threads. In any event, if they work loose you would have plenty of warning before they actually undid fully & the wheel came off.

weejimmy

i ran with two on the 1/4mile for a whole day of about 15 runs + hooning it back round from the end of the strip.. just put two covers in the empty holes on both fronts as i didnt have enough bolts lol.

wheel bolts are over rated.

andyjstone

Problem is I'd be worrying about them all day and would be a bit wary giving it full wack.

Just taken the hub off and on my way down to Miles in a minute to get a new outer pressed on, so hopefully should be sorted thanks to Miles again :P

Bassman
Problem is I'd be worrying about them all day and would be a bit wary giving it full wack.

Just taken the hub off and on my way down to Miles in a minute to get a new outer pressed on, so hopefully should be sorted thanks to Miles again ;)

I had this problem when some 17 year old tightened up my wheel nuts with an air impact wrench and stripped one of the threads.

Bought a M12 x 1.25 thread repair kit from Cromwell in the end and repaired it. Problem with this is they are about 20 - 25 quid a kit and I will probably never need one again!

andyjstone
I had this problem when some 17 year old tightened up my wheel nuts with an air impact wrench and stripped one of the threads.

Bought a M12 x 1.25 thread repair kit from Cromwell in the end and repaired it. Problem with this is they are about 20 - 25 quid a kit and I will probably never need one again!

I think this was just a knackered hub, all the threads looked a bit dodgy, but after nice trip down to the New Forest and back on a Sunday afternoon all sorted now and ready for the track tomorrow :wacko:

MerlinGTI

I had 3 bolts in one of my rear wheels for 6 months, no problems... but obviously its not good :P get it sorted asap :lol:

andyjstone
well how did it go? :lol:

Crap, drive shaft CV joint went (brand new one, just fitted) and just got home on the back of an RAC truck - it's becoming a habit, next time I'll just book one in advance.

andyjstone
ah mate no way :lol:

All part of the joy of 205 ownership!

pablo

IM out in mine this sunday for the first time, not sure whats going to let go first lol :lol: