• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

309 Beam

andyjstone

What's the benefit of fitting a 309 rear beam instead of the standard 205 one?

swordfish210

More rear stability in the corners. Less fun though, takes away some of the 205-ness.

andyjstone
More rear stability in the corners.

Why is that, does it have a bigger torsion bar?

swordfish210

The wider track helps the stability. Stand up straight and slowly move your feet further apart, the wider apart they get the more stable you will feel, yes?

welshpug

just an extra bit of track, 36mm IIRC, hardly any extra spring rate from the larger torsion bars as they are longer.

jimistdt
Why is that, does it have a bigger torsion bar?

20mm bars as opposed to 18.9 on the 205.

boombang

Torsion bars are thicker, but certain spring rate calculations I have seen demonstrate this is negated by extra length.

The ARB is both thicker and comparatively uprated.

Miles

None, better off with a 205 one and wider rim's/tyres and larger ARB and all different Rear Arms from the ZX

andyjstone
None, better off with a 205 one and wider rim's/tyres and larger ARB and all different Rear Arms from the ZX

Surely that would give you the same effect as having a 309 one :)

Alastairh

Also they look better.

Edited by Alastairh

andyjstone
Also they look better.

Which look better???

Anthony

It's one of those personal things - some people prefer a 205 beam, and some a 309 beam.

I've run a 309 beam for the past 5 years or so, and I think it's great, suiting my driving style perfectly. You lose the degree of nervousness that you can get with a 205 width beam, replaced with a planted tail, but one that is still steerable on the throttle. I'd say that if anything it turns in better than a standard 205 beam thanks to the thicker bars, and feels better balanced to me when coupled with average lowering springs on the front. All IMO.

In the past couple of years, uprated torsion and anti-roll bars have become easily available and reasonably priced, which does negate some of the advantages of a 309 beam with its thicker TB and ARB as you can now build 205 beams with thicker bars - although it's significantly more money buying uprated bars as you'd expect.

Disadvantages are that because of the extra width you can't run anything wider than the standard 6" wheels with 195 width tyres without doing something with the arches. Not something that's ever bothered me personally though

For what it's worth, that I'm aware of, no one that I've ever supplied or fitted a 309 beam to has regretted the choice based on how the car drove - only person I know that wanted to revert to a 205 beam was Platty (his thread is on here somewhere) and that was because he couldn't run the SL434 wheels (6.75" wide) that he'd also bought. In his case I said that I'd build him a 205 width beam and swap at zero cost, and I'm happy to extend that offer to you - if you're not happy with the handling of the car with the new beam, I'll build you a 205 one instead at zero cost :P

andyjstone
In his case I said that I'd build him a 205 width beam and swap at zero cost, and I'm happy to extend that offer to you - if you're not happy with the handling of the car with the new beam, I'll build you a 205 one instead at zero cost :D

That sounds very fair, but I'm sure I'll be happy with it - not sure my driving style would be able to tell the difference anyway :P

Anthony
That sounds very fair, but I'm sure I'll be happy with it - not sure my driving style would be able to tell the difference anyway :P

You will notice a difference over your current beam if it's a standard 1.6 beam, I promise you that - hell, if you don't notice a night and day difference by the first roundabout you come to on the road, let alone on track, I'd be surprised :D

andyjstone
You will notice a difference over your current beam if it's a standard 1.6 beam, I promise you that - hell, if you don't notice a night and day difference by the first roundabout you come to on the road, let alone on track, I'd be surprised :D

I was meaning that I'm not sure I'd notice the difference between a 309 beam and a 205 one with uprated torsion/ARB - I too should hope I'll see a difference from what I have now, otherwise you can take it off again :P

SurGie

Having the 309 gti beam gives you more higher straight road speed stability, less twitchy than the 205 beam, iv read.

Edited by SurGie

EdCherry

I've heard using the bugatti veyrons rear beam improves stability ten fold. This is what I have on all my cars now including my ferrari enzo in 1:43, bloody hard to find bugatti donors in that size!

andyjstone
I've heard using the bugatti veyrons rear beam improves stability ten fold. This is what I have on all my cars now including my ferrari enzo in 1:43, bloody hard to find bugatti donors in that size!

What wheel arches do you use?

EdCherry

I use a mix of Metro 6r4 and standard metro bodywork, looks something like this with a 205 front end

610b6efd5a0754a89db05f9897aad07e.jpg

taylorspug

Mm 5 door...

ravydavy

Love it he he.

andyjstone
Mm 5 door...

Naaaa, despite the cut in the rear wing I'm sure those rear doors won't open - ITS A COUPE

pablo

10mm spacers on the rear would give much the same effect wouldnt it?

andyjstone
10mm spacers on the rear would give much the same effect wouldnt it?

That's what I've got at the moment - original 1.6 beam with 12mm spacers, but presumably this puts more strain on the beam and has some effect on the suspension.