• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Brake Master Cylinder

andyjstone

I have read some stuff on this, but can't find a definitive answer and specific reasons!

Car still has a 1.6 master cylinder, which was replaced earlier this year along with all the brake lines.

Have recently changed the front calipers to GTI6 units and about to change the rear drums to calipers.

With the GTI6 calipers everything seems to work great, I have no issues, but I see some posts on here that say you should change the master cylinder to a 405 unit.

Three questions:

1. Is this really necessary and why?

2. Would the 405 master cylinder fit on the 205 servo or do I need to change this as well

3. Are the above much bigger than the 205 units as there ain't much space between the '6' lump and the head for anything bigger

swordfish210

You can use the 23.8mm master cylinder from a 406 without any problems. You may want to tilt the servo up a bit to gain some extra clearance between the master cylinder and the rocker cover.

andyjstone
You can use the 23.8mm master cylinder from a 406 without any problems. You may want to tilt the servo up a bit to gain some extra clearance between the master cylinder and the rocker cover.

But is this necessary?

I read some other post that said that this really doesn't make much difference to the braking force, but does it give a different front/back split or something?

swordfish210

Depends whether you're happy with the amount of pedal travel you have with your current master cylinder or not. If you fancy a bit less travel then change the master cylinder.

Anthony

As said, it's pedal travel that the size of the MC effects - 23mm 406 MC noticeably reduces the pedal travel over a standard 20.6mm GTi MC, but if you're happy with the travel as it is, why change?

andyjstone
As said, it's pedal travel that the size of the MC effects - 23mm 406 MC noticeably reduces the pedal travel over a standard 20.6mm GTi MC, but if you're happy with the travel as it is, why change?

OK, pedal travel seems a bit long at the moment, but I'll check it again after we've changed the rear brakes and then decide - just wanted to make sure there wasn't any safety issue, just an operational one :)

andyjstone

So where do I get a new one of these from, is there a part number or a specific model/year it comes from??

Edited by andyjstone

EdCherry

GSF or Peugeot, be prepared to remortgage your house for it though.

Anthony
So where do I get a new one of these from??

New? Most places should do them - it's an early 406 non-ABS master cylinder that you're after. Be warned though that they're quite expensive - something like £80-90 from memory :)

You'll also need a blanking plug to turn it into a 3 outlet MC seeing as yours originally started life out as a 1.6 GTi

andyjstone
GSF or Peugeot, be prepared to remortgage your house for it though.

Yes, I found a new on the net that looked a bit steep, but there seem to be a few different types

andyjstone
You'll also need a blanking plug to turn it into a 3 outlet MC seeing as yours originally started life out as a 1.6 GTi

Does it matter which of the outlets gets plugged up?

swordfish210

The last M/C i bought came with 2 spare blanking plugs. Ideal :P

Anthony
Does it matter which of the outlets gets plugged up?

The MC is split circuit (like 205 ones), so put the two front calipers on one circuit, and the rear line on the other (with the spare blocked).

Basically, copy how it's done on the current MC(rear and blank nearest the servo, two front brake lines furthest from the servo) and it'll be fine :P

andyjstone
The MC is split circuit (like 205 ones), so put the two front calipers on one circuit, and the rear line on the other (with the spare blocked).

Basically, copy how it's done on the current MC(rear and blank nearest the servo, two front brake lines furthest from the servo) and it'll be fine :P

Thanks for clearing that up - not sure I'm going to do it yet, but I've banked the info in case!

andyjstone

OK, been looking into this a bit more. The MC was changed earlier this year when the brake lines where replaced and looking at it maybe it has already been upgraded. These are some pics:

MC2.jpg

mc1.jpg

I'm assuming this isn't the standard 1.6 unit which would have had 3 pipes I assume and this has four with one blanked off, so is this a 1.9 unit or one from a 406 or something else??

EdCherry

That could just be the 20.6mm Bendix unit that GSF etc supply now, I have exactly the same for my track car, and when they get it right one for my road car as well!

Edited by EdCherry

Redtop

You can't get the 3 outlet master cylinder for the 1.6 gti anymore from pug as I tried to get one last week. They don't do a seal kit for them either. The link below is the standard 1.6 mc that should be on your car but that bedix one you have is a 4 outlet with 1 blocked off. I'd say thats why it was put on it.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=109676

tony perks

On my car I have the 406 turbo diesel M/C this one had ABS and is 23 mm and only 2 out lets which is great for a rally car, the pedal travel has been much reduced and much firmer too.

mr_exe

Going slightly o/t here but in there any merit in using an uprated master cylinder (say a 406 non abs) with the 1.6 brakes with a view to reducing the pedal travel?