• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CTI STU

Hissing Brakes?

CTI STU

Ive got a 1991 1.4 XS and when I brake I can hear a sort of 'hissing' noise? bit like air escaping or something?

Anyone got any Ideas??

Daviewonder

cant help you im affraid but my mate had a 309 GL that did the same thing, never caused any problems AFAIK.

GeorgeXS

Mine does exactly the same, havent a clue what it is but it doesnt seem to affect performance

tidypug

could it be air coming out of the rubber bellow thats on the bottom of the brake pedal?

CTI STU
could it be air coming out of the rubber bellow thats on the bottom of the brake pedal?

That sounds more likley because you can only hear in from inside the car!

Is it a easy/cheap fix?

RossD

I wouldnt bother if the brakes are working - It's most likely the vent to the servo working as you press the brake pedal. It's not a fault, it's working how it should.

pugit666

2 of my pugs have done this but the brakes have been fine, i've always wondered what it was

CTI STU

Ive had 9 Gti's now and 1 XS and Ive never had this on any of them!!

tidypug

Sorry i didn't explain it very well. Could it be the rubber bellow that the lower part of the brake pedal bar goes through? The bar that goes through the bulk head and into the brake master cylinder. I had the same noise, which annoyed the hell out of me! You can check this by putting your head under the dash near the bulkhead/ pedals and pressing the brake pedal by hand.

HTH.