• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

307 Hdi Brakes

Paul_13

My brakes were binding a bit and then decided to copper slip the pads.

And since then the most horrific brake squeal!

That does not work in my opinion :ph34r:

Has any one had this problem before? They're Mintex1144 pads if that helps

Edited by paul_xiii

John_B

I've used Mintex 1144s for years now and they've always squealed. Copper or not!

People have said something about anti squeal shims in the past but I've never seen any?

I think higher temp pads are always likely to squeal.

Cameron

Yep, its just part of having better pads. If you don't want them to squeal you can drag the brakes for a few hundred yards to get them hot and they'll be quiet for a while. Mine squeals like a bitch, but it just adds to the motorsport-ness IMO. :ph34r:

Anthony

That's 1144's for you in my experience - earlier pads used to come with anti-squeal shims, but later ones don't seem to. I used to have 1144's front and back on my old 205, and that squealed like a pig in s**t...

Yep, its just part of having better pads. If you don't want them to squeal you can drag the brakes for a few hundred yards to get them hot and they'll be quiet for a while. Mine squeals like a bitch, but it just adds to the motorsport-ness IMO. :ph34r:

That's being far too generalistic in my opinion - my DS2500's for example have never squealed, hot or cold.

Rippthrough
I've used Mintex 1144s for years now and they've always squealed. Copper or not!

People have said something about anti squeal shims in the past but I've never seen any?

I think higher temp pads are always likely to squeal.

The blue backing pads on these are Mintex's anti-squeal shims:

266mm2piecefitted-2.jpg

I just emailed Mintex about the squeal, cause my old sets used to come with the shims and the new ones hadn't, and they sent me some through

richsmells

Do you bother with copper slip if the pads have anti squeal shims?

Cameron

Oh really? I might have to try Ferodo pads next, they seem to be pretty highly recommended.

Miles

Very odd as I rarely get any with 1144's or 55's,

Never bother with Copper slip as it does nothing at all, The noise is from the Disc to pad and not the back to the calliper

Are they Brembo disc's at all?

Ferodo's on 2 406's inc mine are a mix of 2500 and 3000's both squeal on light brake applications too

Edited by Miles

John_B
I just emailed Mintex about the squeal, cause my old sets used to come with the shims and the new ones hadn't, and they sent me some through

Do they make much of a difference Rippthrough?

Very odd as I rarely get any with 1144's or 55's,

Never bother with Copper slip as it does nothing at all, The noise is from the Disc to pad and not the back to the calliper

Are they Brembo disc's at all?

Sometimes I notice it, sometimes I don't. And only when braking very lightly- in traffic mainly. Mine are 1.6 calipers on Bendix discs I think.

Rippthrough
Do they make much of a difference Rippthrough?

Stopped 95% of it, I don't need 'em now tbh as the discs stop any squealing, just can't be arsed to take 'em off :P

Paul_13

Good to know i'm not the only one, will see to the copper slip...

Is there anything I can use as the anti-rattle material?

Might see what Halfords has...

I can put up with some squealing as I'm half deaf, but my brake squeal/screech is too much to cope with.

Tom Fenton

If they have been binding then you may well have cooked or glazed the pads, this will not help with squeal. I'd de-glaze the pads for a start, and then bed them back in as per Mintex instructions. I've used loads of Mintex M171 (who remembers those) 1144/1155 pads over about 10 years and never really had any bother with them. Ferodo DS2500 are also very good in my experience. I would not fit an EBC pad to my push bike.

John_B
Stopped 95% of it, I don't need 'em now tbh as the discs stop any squealing, just can't be arsed to take 'em off :)

I might try some then the next time I swap pads I suppose. I only find it annoying in the summer when I have the windows right down and I'm stuck in traffic. Not a big concern though!