• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davemar

Thinking Of Replacing Rear Shocks.

davemar

I'm still trying to try down why I've got rear knocking noise. I've removed the spare wheel, parcel shelf, adjusted the boot lock as that allowed a little movement in the boot door. But none of these seemed to remove it. Currently the car is on axle stands as I've sent the alloys off for refurb, so I can get under the car easily now. I've been in with my crow bar to wiggle things and nothing feels loose. However, the axle stands are supporting on the rear cross member, so I might move them to the jacking point by the sills; so the rear sub-frame hasn't got the car's weight on it.

Anyway, the car's done 200k, and the rear shocks are the originals AFAIK. Regardless of the the noise, do you guys think it might be worth replacing them anyway? Would ones from Peugeot be the best option (I'm just using it as a standard road car)? They appear to be £47 each on servicebox.

Rich_p

Replace them but also check that the beam mounts aren't knackered. They can make it knock.

jimistdt

If they are still the original shocks I'd be surprised if the bushes are still intact.

I've got a lovely pair of 1.9 dampers, yours for a tenner plus postage if you fancy them?

davemar

How old (years and miles) are they?

jimistdt

I can't be sure of age/mileage to be fair, but more importantly good gaiters and rubbers, look like new TBH, I'll get a pic when I get home if you want?

Anthony

I might have missed something, but is it still the original beam fitted that's not been reconditioned? With 200k on the clock it's almost certainly well past its prime frankly.

Also, if you haven't already done so, make sure the shock bolts are tight (if they come loose, it makes a loud knock/rattle) and as said, that the beam mounts aren't knackered - the rear sandwich mount in particular tend to split in two and knock (not to mention give some dubious/scary rear steer effects)

jimistdt

A few photos of the 1.9 Dampers Davemar;

Nice bush! B)

th_Image317-1.jpg

Good shaft :o

th_Image315-1.jpg

th_Image314-1.jpg

Little lad not included.

There you have it, sorry for the poor pics, I was just reminded of this thread and got them out the shed and snapped them on the camera phone.

£10 + postage = Bargain. :D

davemar

Yep, look fine to me. Can you send me a PM with the postage cost and how you want to be paid?

The beam was replaced a few years ago, with uprated seals and bearings, so it should be good for a long time. The rear sandwich mounts are good, and are only a couple of years old. I'll try and move the axle stand tomorrow to have a further poke around.

davemar

I checked the rear bushes on the left hand side where the cross member attaches to the car (the front round ones), and it didn't seem too bad. How much give should I expect in these bushes? I certainly couldn't pull them out, and would be curious to know the best way of getting them out if I need to.

Apart from this there's nothing obviously loose, and everything seems taught and secure. I removed the shocks, and they didn't feel too bad either.

Though getting everything apart has given me the chance to deal with some spots of rust (particularly where the rear sandwich bushes are). The rust also made removing some of the nuts seriously hard work. The initial movement was fine, but the effort in removing them from the exposed threads has made me look like Nikolay Valuev (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/8269454.stm - how tall?!). So the bolts are sitting in rust remover overnight now.

davemar

Put all the rear suspension back on the car, the only thing that looked vaguely dodgy was the front left subframe bushes were a little on the soft side. But apart from that everything was nicely secure and no reason to suspect it giving out any knocking noises. Even when bouncing the car up and down by sitting in the boot there are no knocking sounds, just the sloshing of petrol in the tank. However, as soon as you drive the thing, even along the smoothest of roads (by UK standards) there's some knocking noises. I got someone to sit on the rear seats and they said the sound was coming from under the boot on the left side. The exhaust is totally secure and doesn't bash anything when wiggled. I've got the spare wheel and holder removed at the moment. Really struggling to pin it down.

davemar

I checked those bushes on my left side and they weren't anyway near as bad as that. The inner metal tubes were still nice and shiny, and the rubber didn't look cracked at all. I did think they felt a little soft though, but not having a reference to compare against it's difficult to tell. I certainly couldn't pull the buggers out. How are they supposed to come out (assuming they aren't on the brink of falling out)?

If mine are a little soft I suppose they could be the cause the noise. I'm also thinking my car feels a little understeery on fast right-handers which might also be a symptom (though that could just be me driving two different cars now and noticing differences).

I ought to see if there is anything forward of the rear suspension that is loose like the fuel tank or other things.

luggy
How are they supposed to come out (assuming they aren't on the brink of falling out)?

Theres a rear beam refurb guide in the articles section on the main 205 website by Wurzel.

:)