• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SOUPED

283mm Front + 283mm Rear With Standard Calipers

SOUPED

Hi guys n gals,

Been done on front with extender brackets but can you do on the rears and what do the disks come from?

I know its pointless without changing the calipers but will do at a later stage.

Just looking at cheaper options since I can do the calipers later but I need to do brakes anyway.

Thanks

Souped

:angry:

:angry:

Rich_p

Is there much point going that big with the rears? Surely they'll end up locking up?

My civic has awsome brakes & weighs a ton & thats only on 260 oddmm rear disks

mrswampy

Cituning used to do a kit that utilses 266mm front vented disks from a 306

used a pair of spacers on the caliper to get the width and a bracket to move the caliper out

retained the 247mm caliper with handbrake function

not sure if its still available

SOUPED
Cituning used to do a kit that utilses 266mm front vented disks from a 306

used a pair of spacers on the caliper to get the width and a bracket to move the caliper out

retained the 247mm caliper with handbrake function

not sure if its still available

Just wandering the 1.9 has 247 on front and rear.

Just want to go along that line as I like my brakes as is. I mean wouldn't changin' jus' the front alter the bias in some way.

Yeah changin the front to 283 and rear would keep the bias the same and the braking effect would be more powerfull but if you changed only the fronts wouldn't it alter the bias.

Not had experience compared to you guys.

So I'm wandering.

Rich_p

They also have compensators to reduce the rear braking effort so even the 247 discs are not being used to full effect.

SOUPED
They also have compensators to reduce the rear braking effort so even the 247 discs are not being used to full effect.

Never thought about that, learn stuff all the time from here.

So my best but is to change the front to 283mm and brackets and just keep the rear standard.

Can anyone recomend a place for the extention backets or are the £20 ones on basingstokes Okay.

mrswampy

The 306 s16 and gti6 only have 247mm rear solid disks.

Though im told the later gti6 had a larger piston diameter

SOUPED

Am I right in saying that doing a 283mm disk conversion with standard calipers only requires the brackets.

And discs :angry:

Can you use any 283mm disk from the PSA range.

Tom Fenton

Easiest bolt on solution if you must have 283mm discs is the 306 GTI6 front brake setup. This will bolt straight on to 1900 front hubs, you will just need a longer brake flexible hose.

SOUPED
Easiest bolt on solution if you must have 283mm discs is the 306 GTI6 front brake setup. This will bolt straight on to 1900 front hubs, you will just need a longer brake flexible hose.

This guys just read my mind.

Am 100% going in that direction but can't afford the full setup yet.

I'm thinking just disks at mo, with caliper spacers.

Anyone selling GTI6 calipers let me know.

Are all peu/cit 283 discs the same or do they vary slightly?

And can I use GTI6 discs with caliper spacer brackets?

Sorry to ask so many questions. Even though I've read so articles on here.

Tom Fenton

Once you have bought the caliper spacers you are not far away from affording the bolt on calipers, personally I'd save up and do it once rather than doing the job twice.

jackherer

I currently have a Citroen C5 V6 with 283mm (ish) front brakes and the handbrake is on the front wheels. UNLIKE earlier hydraulic citroens the C5 uses a conventional master cylinder for the brakes so they may be a good source for upgraded calipers for the rear. I believe the HDis have the same brakes as the V6 and lesser models are 266mm.

SOUPED
I currently have a Citroen C5 V6 with 283mm (ish) front brakes and the handbrake is on the front wheels. UNLIKE earlier hydraulic citroens the C5 uses a conventional master cylinder for the brakes so they may be a good source for upgraded calipers for the rear. I believe the HDis have the same brakes as the V6 and lesser models are 266mm.

Okay now this what i'm going for :-

GTI6 Disks

&

Spacer Brackets.

As soon as set of 6er calipers come up I'll snap em up also.

Right now I think should be okay.