• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Rear Dampers

andyjstone

Just about to change my rear beam to a 309 GTI item with 24mm ARB and Group A solid beam mounts (courtesy of Anthony).

Currently I have the Bilstein B4 black dampers all round, but have been told these are crap on the back so want to change them for something better (will probably change the fronts as well early next year) at the same time as changing the beam. I only use the car on track, anyone any recommendations?

Rippthrough

Group buy section :rolleyes:

Edited by Rippthrough

Anthony

A rough idea on budget would probably help.

For what it's worth, I'm running Bilstein Group N "Challenge" dampers all round on my 205 that's not too dissimilar to the spec that yours is going to be, and I think they're fantastic - no crashiness or jarring like you get from many "uprated" dampers, but instead feel really well damped and a noticeable improvement over standard. Happy to take you out in the car if you want to see what they're like. Rears are about £90-100 ish each new from memory.

A good cheap option are Koni Yellow adjustable rears, which often come up second hand for £50-60 or so. They're prehaps a touch hard for the road - although not crashy - but very good on track. That said, I've not seen any on here in a while, but they come up every so often on eBay.

If it's of any interest, I think that I have a set of Bilstein Group N Tarmac spec rear dampers somewhere that I had on the car prior to these. They're a few years old and a touch tatty looking as a result, but they work very well and are fairly similar to the Challenge spec dampers from what I've found - wouldn't want a huge amount of money for them.

TT205
For what it's worth, I'm running Bilstein Group N "Challenge" dampers

If it's of any interest, I think that I have a set of Bilstein Group N Tarmac spec rear dampers somewhere

Anthony

Are the two types mentioned above different?

I thought there was only one type of Tarmac spec rear billies?

Anthony
Anthony

Are the two types mentioned above different?

I thought there was only one type of Tarmac spec rear billies?

The Challenge and Tarmac Billies that I've got certainly felt similar on the car, but they're cosmetically slightly different and what I could make out of the part number appeared to be different. Beyond that I can't really say - I don't have them out the house so can't get a picture or the part number off them, and the closest I have is a distant picture of them fitted to the beam before I put it on the car:

If you can shed any further light on them or what other info you have, that would be appreciated :D

ravydavy

speak to special tuning he said the people in the know have 306 billie group n tarmac spec rears on 205's. he supplies all the top people.

Edited by ravydavy

Rippthrough

They'd be a hell of a lot stiffer than even the 205 Tarmac jobs, you'd want some fair sized torsion bars!

IIRC they're ~1300lb/600lb whereas the 205 tarmacs are 1030/560 - haven't got a billy catalogue any more so can't confirm though.

Edited by Rippthrough

ravydavy

Yeah i know but i told him what i was doing/primarily trackwork and a little road work and the feedback he's had from the track people he sells to said the 306 dampers are by far the best. I took his word for it. and they are bloody good. excellent in fact.

i'm going to the next 205 trackday at silverstone so if anyone would like to try the 306 dampers ill whip em off mine and you can try em. its not like its a long job to get em off and on.

regards david

Edited by ravydavy

Rippthrough
Yep, look fine to me. Can you send me a PM with the postage cost and how you want to be paid?

The beam was replaced a few years ago, with uprated seals and bearings, so it should be good for a long time. The rear sandwich mounts are good, and are only a couple of years old. I'll try and move the axle stand tomorrow to have a further poke around.

Might be the heat is making them all fade so the 205 ones feel a bit springy? They probably end up around the same rate as a fresh 205 damper when warm? :D

ravydavy
Might be the heat is making them all fade so the 205 ones feel a bit springy? They probably end up around the same rate as a fresh 205 damper when warm? :D

yes might be. are you coming to the silverstone trackday rippthrough?? i still need a set of those discs making. just never got round to dropping my disc off for you. you should bring a set of new dampers for me to try. i'll bring some money with me. in another post i saw you were mentioning rose jointed drop links?? are they available?? i hate the pug originals and iv'e bent one cause they are made of monkey metal. theylook awful and out of place on my car. i have a lot more time now ive built my house so i could pop over.

Rippthrough
yes might be. are you coming to the silverstone trackday rippthrough?? i still need a set of those discs making. just never got round to dropping my disc off for you. you should bring a set of new dampers for me to try. i'll bring some money with me. in another post i saw you were mentioning rose jointed drop links?? are they available?? i hate the pug originals and iv'e bent one cause they are made of monkey metal. theylook awful and out of place on my car. i have a lot more time now ive built my house so i could pop over.

Depends if my new brake pads for the 306 have arrived in time for a roadtrip.

I'll be doing a second batch of droplinks over winter, haven't got any to hand atm though.

Might have a set of dampers I can bring over for you to try, depends how soon they get here.

ravydavy
Depends if my new brake pads for the 306 have arrived in time for a roadtrip.

I'll be doing a second batch of droplinks over winter, haven't got any to hand atm though.

Might have a set of dampers I can bring over for you to try, depends how soon they get here.

rippthrough this is britain its always winter. just different degrees of winterbrrrr. he he...

have you got any pictures of your droplinks. they speak a thousand words after all

Rippthrough

Poor one from the phone here:

10-05-09_0005.jpg

New versions have some upgrades though.

Anyway, what's your budget Andy?

Edited by Rippthrough

ravydavy

erm are they 205 droplinks only shouldn't their be a 90 degree bend on one side and the other straight?? i'll take it its just a simillar kinda thing. look good though dude. on another note ive just put some new pads in my wilwoods and i'd rather start on new discs. any chance if i drop a disc off you could sort me out with a pair of rotors and bells. light???

EdCherry

Ravy bet those are for 306's.

ravydavy
Ravy bet those are for 306's.

aaah. not had much to do with 306's. but i did a have a zx for two years but to be honest it was so long ago i can't remember. cheers cherry. look good anyway..

andyjstone
Anyway, what's your budget Andy?

Not so much a question of a budget, more about getting something good - I've ordered a pair of the Bilstein Group N "Challenge" dampers, so hopefully with the 309 beam and uprated ARB they will be better than the knackered 205 beam and B4 Billeys I have now. I'm hoping to come to Silverstone, so we can compare notes - I've just re-built the front end and uprated the front brakes and am doing a track day at Bedford at the end of this month, so it will be interesting to see the difference.

Rippthrough
aaah. not had much to do with 306's. but i did a have a zx for two years but to be honest it was so long ago i can't remember. cheers cherry. look good anyway..

They are but I've got some adaptors that fit them to 205's.

ravydavy
They are but I've got some adaptors that fit them to 205's.

just what i wanted to hear. what about my discs though? i know your busy and all??

Rippthrough
I'm hoping to come to Silverstone, so we can compare notes.

Well, if I can get down to Silverstone on the day with a set of Foxes, I can chop and change them across people's cars for a few laps so they can try them out, I'll bring a few valve shims/tools/oil too so they can be dialled in for track settings/personal preferences.

Have to wait on the discs I'm afraid pal, new workshops won't be ready until winter so the CNC mill is in storage.

Edited by Rippthrough