• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

Custom Lower Arms

eob

There's plenty of threads on here about how someone is just about to crack the disposable lower arm problem (mine are basically serviceable items at this point, I swap out a set of lower arms every 5,000 miles or so. Not my driving, btw, rather the 'quality' of the tarmac where I live).

While there's plenty of discussion, is anyone manufacturing a lower arm whereby you can use 306 bottom balljoints for example?

Redtop

Have you checked that your hubs are not ovalled? You shouldn't be going through bottom arms every 5k I would of thought. Check they are not ovalled and if you replace the bottom arms again change the pinch bolts to new genuine pug ones which aren't too dear, and see if that helps the problem. As regards to the custom lower arms I don't know.

Rippthrough
While there's plenty of discussion, is anyone manufacturing a lower arm whereby you can use 306 bottom balljoints for example?

I just need to borrow a 205 for a day or two to adapt my tubular ones to fit, they use the 306 balljoint.

eob
Have you checked that your hubs are not ovalled? You shouldn't be going through bottom arms every 5k I would of thought. Check they are not ovalled and if you replace the bottom arms again change the pinch bolts to new genuine pug ones which aren't too dear, and see if that helps the problem. As regards to the custom lower arms I don't know.

Yup, 306 hollow cast items. They're fine.

Rippthrough.. you have PM.

Cameron

You're welcome to borrow mine for a day Ripthrough, can lend a hand with the adapting if need be. :unsure:

Rippthrough
You're welcome to borrow mine for a day Ripthrough, can lend a hand with the adapting if need be. :D

:unsure:

Be a bit of a roadtrip!

swordfish210
I just need to borrow a 205 for a day or two to adapt my tubular ones to fit, they use the 306 balljoint.

If only you were closer you could have had mine, i could have fitted some of those Fox Shox and a set of your wavy discs while you were at it :unsure:

Rippthrough
If only you were closer you could have had mine, i could have fitted some of those Fox Shox and a set of your wavy discs while you were at it :unsure:

Could have had a decent lower strut brace and rollcage too.

And a nice billet alloy steering rack.

And some rose-joint droplinks/TRE's.

And some rear wishbones.

And the engine mounted in a cradle in the middle of the rollcage.

And a shiny billet rear diff..................

swordfish210
Could have had a decent lower strut brace and rollcage too.

And a nice billet alloy steering rack.

And some rose-joint droplinks/TRE's.

And some rear wishbones.

And the engine mounted in a cradle in the middle of the rollcage.

And a shiny billet rear diff..................

I've got a nice cage and i like my FWD...........the rest of it though :D:unsure:

Rippthrough
I've got a nice cage and i like my FWD...........the rest of it though :D:unsure:

4WD semi-spaceframe it is then...

205wrc
There's plenty of threads on here about how someone is just about to crack the disposable lower arm problem (mine are basically serviceable items at this point, I swap out a set of lower arms every 5,000 miles or so. Not my driving, btw, rather the 'quality' of the tarmac where I live).

There is a chap in West Wales that makes a non-disposable bottom arm!

Basically, he removes the actual ball joint from a factored arm (geniune Pug won't work - to thin) machines out the hole to take rose joint, makes a pin from EN24 Steel that fits in to the hub as a normal pin would do.

This pin fits through the rose joint, and there's a nut underneath to hold the lot together.

If the ball joint goes, you change a rose joint for about £20 - half the price of a new arm.

He will have a stand at the Rally Show in Castle Coomb this saturday, and will probably have a set of these arms with him. I've personally used these arms on 3 forestry rallies in Ireland with no problems at all.

He also makes the Rose Jointed adjustable ones as well.

P.M. me for his number if anybody's interested.

Rippthrough

I hate using rose joints like that, the stress builds up right in the bottom of the threads across the shank. :)

Really should be using a spherical bearing in those conditions.

205wrc

This is the modification.

20060205image01266gw.jpg

20060205image01270da.jpg

IGNORE the part of the arm that's been cut off - this is what is left over from an adjustable version - he used the ball joint as an expriment.

As you can see, the ball joint has been removed, and machined out to take a spherical rose joint. A new pin has been machined, and everything fits together as a standard arm would do - the only difference being - you can change the ball joint.

The adjustable arms are totally different

20051224image00992tq.jpg

Rippthrough

So it is a spherical bearing then and not a rose joint - much better that way.

205wrc

Yes

He can supply them new or you can send him your own arms to modify. Obviously the latter works out cheaper as you don't have the cost of the new arms

Cameron

Only a couple of hours.. I like road trips. :)

welshpug

silly bugger broke his phone today, Phill could have had a subframe top play with! shall have to see about posting it or visiting again...

Rippthrough
silly bugger broke his phone today, Phill could have had a subframe top play with! shall have to see about posting it or visiting again...

It never broke until you pair tried to ring, I still think you did it.

Visit again at the end of the month when the buggy is repaired..... :rolleyes:

Rippthrough

In fact, might be over at Oulton Park in November if that's a shorter run for ya?

With the bonus that we should be testing the new V10 engine... :rolleyes:

eob

When you're finished having a private convo nobody could give a rats ass about... :lol: Those lower arms look like an excellent design. I'm going to contact him Monday when he's done at the rallyshow and order up a set!!

Rippthrough
When you're finished having a private convo nobody could give a rats ass about... :unsure: Those lower arms look like an excellent design. I'm going to contact him Monday when he's done at the rallyshow and order up a set!!

:lol:

hey were going to drop a subframe off so I could adapt those other lower arms to fit for ya.

tidypug

I'm local so you can have use of my car if you like, drop me a pm if your interested :P

Rippthrough
I'm local so you can have use of my car if you like, drop me a pm if your interested :P

Cheers pal, will give you a bell later on about 'em then!