• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Thomson

Can You Get Decent Thin Wheel Spacers?

Rob Thomson

Hello chaps,

This afternoon I put the 205 back on its road rubber after Wednesday's track day at Cadwell and noticed that the R888s have been rubbing their inside edges on the inner wheel arches. It's a 1.6 so it's got a narrower rear beam than the 1.9 its wheels have been 'borrowed' from, and I guess the extra loads on track are enough to use up the available tolerances.

I'm going to need some spacers before its next track excursion, but I don't know where to start. Firstly, does anyone know the difference in rear track between a 1.6 and a 1.9? Secondly (and this is where I get confused), I guess it only needs ~5mm spacers but I can't see how hubcentric spacers would work if they aren't very thick. And I don't want to use spacers that aren't hubcentric... or do I?

I've done a quick Google (and search on here) but haven't found very much apart from chavs fitting 85mm spacers to their Corsas. :wacko:

Basically, how do I (properly) increase the rear track by 5mm each side?

Cheers, Rob.

Anthony

Worth checking that the rear arches are straight as well Rob - several 205's I've had have had inner arches that have bowed outwards due to things sliding around in the boot and hitting the arch, and caused tyre rubbing even on rebuilt beams.

Toddy

The Skip brown neg camber kit could be an option this adds 8mm per side on a disc brake beam, assume you are on drums so therefore need to check with them and the kit is around £200.

Rob Thomson
Worth checking that the rear arches are straight as well Rob - several 205's I've had have had inner arches that have bowed outwards due to things sliding around in the boot and hitting the arch, and caused tyre rubbing even on rebuilt beams.

They're also rubbing on the little plastic caps in the end of the ARB. They're rubbing on the arches at the rear of the wheel arch, at the lower edge by the seam. The arches are in pretty good nick, I think I'd have noticed if they were damaged but you never know.

Is it possible that the drums have the wrong offset or something like that?

Anthony
Is it possible that the drums have the wrong offset or something like that?

Base model drums are narrower than GTi ones from memory, which would logically bring the wheels in closer to the inner arch.

welshpug

10mm narrower, they'd need to have base model shoes as well though. those R888's must be pretty fat on the shoulders as a mate runs a 1.6 with Mi16 wheels on it and only a 3mm spacer though he does run proper 205 sized P5000's (the ET29 wheels are even closer to the arch than an ET19 1.9 wheel)

Edited by welshpug

Rob Thomson

It's definitely got the wide shoes, and therefore the correct drums too. I remember from my Mini days that some of their drums have an in-built spacer but I guess that was BL trying to be cheap.

The R888s are very wide when compared with the T1Rs it normally rides on, despite being the same size and profile.

So... back to spacers. What width would I need to push the wheels out to where they'd be on a 1.9?

Thanks.

base-1

If you think it'll be enough, I've got a pair of ~2.4mm spacers you can have Rob?

Rob Thomson

I guess that would be a step in the right direction. I presume if they're so narrow the hub's spigot still protrudes enough to support the wheel in the correct place?

How much would you like for them?

Daz_C

Maybe you could get a spacer made that sits behind the drum backing plate then you wouldn't need to use wheel spacers ?

I need to sort something too as I couldn't use my Speedline Corsa's at Cadwell.

In my circumstance this isn't due to the tyres as I've ran 888s on them and 1.9 wheels with no issues of rubbing on my 1.6 beam.

Edited by Daz_C

base-1
I guess that would be a step in the right direction. I presume if they're so narrow the hub's spigot still protrudes enough to support the wheel in the correct place?

How much would you like for them?

I'm not sure as it goes, I haven't had them on a car for over 3 years! If you think they'll do enough just PM me your address and I'll send them over.