• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest prm

Retro Fit Power Steering Help Required!

Guest prm

Hi All

I'm half way through retro fitting a power steering kit to my 1.9 that I bought from ebay sometime ago. I've fitted the rack, pipes, pump mounting bracket & pump, however I've hit a problem that the alternator adjusting bracket hits the oil cooler pipes where they tuck around the end of the radiator.

Are there different brackets/setups for the 1.6 & 1.9 which might be causing my problems. If needs I can take some pics tomorrow to show the problem if there's any confusion.

Thanks PRM.

welshpug

PAS equipped cars didn't use the air-oil cooler, just a heat exchanger with takeoffs from the top hose or a remote oil filter bolted to the gearbox.

rapidcossie

easiest way to do it is use a saxo electric power steering pump, saves messing around with belts and pulleys in an already tight bay.

Ryan

No, the easiest way is to just take the oil cooler off. ;)

It's not really needed in the UK climate anyway.

Edited by Ryan

Guest prm

Thanks for the help guys. Had a look at it and now modified the original alternator adjuster bracket to miss the cooler pipes by sweeping it in between the p/s pump & alternator. With a bit of guarding on the pipes and some cable ties this should be job done.

Cheers

prm

pablo
easiest way to do it is use a saxo electric power steering pump, saves messing around with belts and pulleys in an already tight bay.

How much effort is there in this?