• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MerlinGTI

Uprated Tre's?

MerlinGTI

For some reason I keep destroying TRE boots. They are just perrishing in a matter of months. The last set I put on were motorquip branded, ones before that 'first line', ones before that were some other factors rubbish.

So this time round I was going to get them from pug themselves, to save the hassle of geo'ing it again in two months. Berfore I do I was considering rose jointed jobbies. What are the negitive aspects of going this route? I can only think of positives (more precise steering) apart from cost and maintinance. But then again why isnt everyone running them then? and there must be a reason every OE manufacturer opts for wobbley ball joints?

Anyone driven with rose jointed TRE's? any gud?

Cheers

James_R

std TRE's £5 from factors I've never had an issue with, only point in siwtching to RJ's is to correct the steering rack angle from decking the car.

Why do the boots fail? are you using a ball joint splitter on them??

nick

I can't see the point in changing them to rose joints as the originals have a steel ball in a steel cup with zero play. I can only see the benefit in rose joints when it's replacing a rubber bush of some sort which will have "play" in it as std.

Nick

MerlinGTI
Why do the boots fail? are you using a ball joint splitter on them??

nope, this is fitting them and leaving them completely alone! They arnt sliced or torn, but perrished in months! (obviously causing splits). Only things I can think of are heat from the disks or its the supaguard wheel protector I spray on my rims. Neither explination 'fits' enough in my mind though.

I will just go for propper OE ones this time and hope for the best :P

Tom Fenton

Unfortunately all pattern components with rubber parts seem to be s*ite these days, I don't know what has changed but modern rubber is wank. I've got a brand new TRE never been on a car here, its about 3 years old and has been in my trackday bits box, and guess what the gaiter is fubared.

Rippthrough
I can't see the point in changing them to rose joints as the originals have a steel ball in a steel cup with zero play. I can only see the benefit in rose joints when it's replacing a rubber bush of some sort which will have "play" in it as std.

Nick

+1

The only reason I'm running rose joints was so I could run aluminium steering arms and joints to save a bit of unsprung weight - although with a proper sealed boot which hold grease they are holding up rather better than most TRE's I've tried.