• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M_R_205

Rear Space Frame Upgrade?!?!

M_R_205

Me and a friend have been welding up a `7` style locost chassis and it set me thinking, as apposed to the serrious fabrication needed to make a colin satchel typer rear strutted setup, would it not be possible to make a spaceframe that bolts into the standard beam mounts, with a double wishbone setup and short coilovers?

Something similar to this...

irs.jpg

.... But obviously minus the Diff and drive shafts lol

(and this)

The only real problem i can think of is the exhaust running directly thrugh where the NS wishbones woukd sit,

All opinions, sugestions and discussion welcome :)

Paul.

Edited by M_R_205

welshpug

definitely and it has been done a few times before, though I doubt you'd be able to get any decent amount of travel without welding in turrets because of the lack of space, unless you mount them on a linkage and have them horizontal, the rest of it can fit to the original mounting points.

Batfink

I did think about this but decided that a lightweight trailing arm solution was more beneficial than having double wishbones. Lighter is better :)

M_R_205

sounds like i may have a winter project then, (when i say winter project i mean ANOTHER winter project)

i think mounting the shock inbore and using a rocker would probably be the way to go, all i can think for the exhaust is to bring it through the centre of the spaceframe and mount the backbox side on behind the rear bumper...

If anyone has any pics of previos work id like to see them :)

Paul.

EDIT: Batfink, i was thinking along the lines of easier to adjust and availability of diferent LB springs etc etc, theres not a huge amount of stress on the rear wheels, i mean on a FWD car they realy just stop the rear bumper scraping along the ground, so i i could make an aluminium space frame and wishbone to keep the weight down...

Edited by M_R_205

welshpug

sorry, should point out that in the cases I know of that it has been done it's always been to accommodate a diff and some driveshafts :)

if you use 1.9 hub carriers and drive flanges you can use just the outer end of a driveshaft (i.e the CV joint) to hold it together.

how markd6303 did his -

052.jpg013.jpg

pretty similar IIRC to how Paul (thirdtimelucky) did his setup though the onyl pictures I can find are thumbnails to broken links!

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...05105&st=30

M_R_205

Thats epic cheers! im not going to the extrems of 4wd i just want an easier, better and more adjustable soloution to the rear beam, and as the one on my car is on its last legs its the perfect time to get somthing sorted!