• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lagonda

Inner Edge Of N/s/f Tyre Badly Worn

lagonda

Finally got round to getting new front tyres for the CTi. The nearside one was very badly worn on the inner edge...right through to the casing wire. The offside front one was only slightly more worn on that side.....any thoughts as to why this should be?

I have only just replaced the lower balljoint clamp bolts with shouldered bolts which more properly locate the ball joint pins in the suspension arm clamps. This may have corrected a (slight) error in the suspension geometry caused by the pins being too high or too low in the clamp....could this have caused this wear?

As nothing else appears adjustable, the only other culprit could only be the tracking? But wouldn't both front tyres be worn more or less identically? The steering wheel centres correctly straight ahead....but I notice the threads exposed on the TREs are NOT of equal length, whilst Haynes says they should be. If it is tracking, do I need to adjust the rear of the front wheels in or out?

I should add the rear suspension has been lowered....too far....and I need to re-adjust that when I have the time to do it....could that cause such wear? Also the front tyres were different makes (but were correctly fitted directional tyres). There is no noticeable play in the steering.

jimistdt

When I bought my 205 the drivers tyre was as you described. Turned out it was an ovalled hub hole.

lagonda

Unfortunately not that simple.....wheels centre correctly & run true. Or do you mean the hole in the hub carrier that the suspension arm ball joint pin goes into? I know those can tend to oval, but am pretty confident mine is OK in that area. The O/S pinch bolt did slacken off a couple of years ago, but was quickly tightened before any wear in the housing could occur.

jimistdt

Yes, I did mean the hole in the hub carrier, was a poor description by me.

You may be right with the tracking, I've had mine done three times in recent months and not one have they managed to do it correctly, ie. equal track rod ends. Could be worth exploring.

lagonda

Hmmm.....could be the ball joint pin wasn't located properly, but hopefully now is. Tracking was one of the last jobs the previous owner had done (so 2002 probably), so yes, proof as you've found that so called professionals are generally useless.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this, particularly as to whether tracking likely to be to blame?!

steve@cornwall
Hmmm.....could be the ball joint pin wasn't located properly, but hopefully now is. Tracking was one of the last jobs the previous owner had done (so 2002 probably), so yes, proof as you've found that so called professionals are generally useless.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this, particularly as to whether tracking likely to be to blame?!

If it's not been tracked since 2002, and since this

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...c=67904&hl=

I'd definitely suspect the tracking is out .

lagonda

Hi Steve,

As I hinted at in that post, the lubrication fix worked but after about a year the free play got bad enough to warrant fitting a new lower column, which fortunately I'd got cheaply already on ebay!

Not sure if this would have any bearing on the tracking though. Suspect culprit for tracking being wrong is more likely to be odd kerbing & damn speed humps. Also of course it could have been wrongly set in the first place!

pugpete1108

i have this at the moment on my audi except its on the outer side, i thought it was the tracking but when i went to have it done it turns out it was a ball joint gone giving loads of play in the front wheel (audis have 4 ball joints each side :) )

lagonda

MoT looms so will be checking all these later today.