• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Thomson

Wheel Bearing

Rob Thomson

Hello chaps,

I had the 1.6 apart at the weekend and noticed that one of the wheel bearings has lost quite a bit of grease. At the time I thought, "it feels fine, it's only done ~2,000 miles, perhaps it was over-filled", and put it all back together again.

Now I'm having second thoughts, especially as I'm doing a track day next week. Who concurs that it's f***ed, or will be soon?

Cheers, Rob.

jimistdt

Hows it gone with this Rob? Any noises or play in the wheel? Where did you get the bearing from?

Can't say I've come across this, I've only changed them once they make noises.

24seven

I had a droning rear wheel bearing in my 306 from the day I bought it. over 25k later and it didn't get any worse, though I thin I was a bit lucky with that. If it's on the front it'll tend to get a lot worse very quickly. If it was just a little dry you may have gotten away with it. If it doesn't make any droning or graunching noises then you should be ok. Did you jsut leave it as it was or top it up any?

Tom Fenton

If its just used on the road then I'd cope with it, but going to a track day is a different thing. Personally it is always in the back of my mind that something like this could ruin a trackday that you have forked out £150-or-whatever for, plus the other expense of going for that day, so for the sake of a reasonably cheap bit I'd consider changing it to be on the "safe" (e.g. make sure you can do the track day!) side.

If it helps and you can send me some bits, I'm happy to press a bearing into a hub and then take it to Cadwell on the day- it is then only a 20 min job to swap over if needed.

Rob Thomson

Thanks chaps, especially Tom for your generous offer.

I've decided to whip it apart tonight, get the new bearing pressed in tomorrow (it'll only cost me £10 to have it done locally so I won't trouble you Tom) and it should be back on the road in plenty of time. As Tom says, I wouldn't be bothered if I'm only using it on the road but I don't want to risk buggering the track day over something that's really so simple to fix.

Cheers, Rob.