• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Trial Fitting My Rear Arms

dch1950

Morning all,

I am doing a pre final assemble of my beam so that I can check everything is OK. In the picture below I fitted the LHS arm and torsion bar. The shouldered screw is right against the screw-in cup on the opposite side and the bar is up flush with the recess for the offset washer on the arm side. The gap between the arm and the beam tube outer face seems a little big (21mm in total).

This is with everything up close and comfortable so it presumably will increase rather than shrink when I fit the the cup,collar and the seal. At first I thought I might have the wrong torsion bars (309?) they are 18.9mm diam. and 992mm long without the shouldered screw (+4mm). The beam tube itself is 934mm long. My question is therefore (assuming I have the right model torsion bars and tube) is "would you expect such a large gap between the arm and the tube outer face?" and will the cup,collar seal combination fit correctly - I'd rather know now that when the cars on axle stands later this week.

Thanx in advance.

regards

Dave

welshpug

looks fine to me, not enough space between the arm and the end of the tube there for the seal by the looks of it, there\\\'s usually 4 or so turns from fully in on the stud when the seal is in and clearance set from memory.

with 309 torsion bars in there you would have a significantly larger gap if its a 205 tube.

th_PICT0415.jpg

th_PICT0423.jpg

all in place -

th_PICT0428.jpg

setting clearance -

th_PICT0439.jpg

stud screwed fully in with clearance set -

th_PICT0440.jpg

stud wound out to stop -

th_PICT0441.jpg

Edited by welshpug

dch1950
looks fine to me, not enough space between the arm and the end of the tube there for the seal by the looks of it, there's usually 4 or so turns from fully in on the stud when the seal is in and clearance set from memory.

with 309 torsion bars in there you would have a significantly larger gap if its a 205 tube.

Thanx Welshpug

Dave

welshpug

just added some pictures, you replied when I was editing :D

dch1950
just added some pictures, you replied when I was editing :)

Cheers and thanx again.

Bye the way what pictures did you want in respect of my natter with RossD about the action of the torsion bars.

regards

Dave