• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gazza 67

Pas Bleeding

Gazza 67

Retro fitted PAS today to my GTI6 and all that's left to do is add the fluid. Is there any way to add the fluid or correctly bleed it? Read somewhere on here that you are supposed to "prime" the pump? Searched the forums but can't find the right thread!! :D

Hopefully finishing tomorrow, bank holiday Monday so any help or guidance would be appreciated.

CosKev

As far as I know just fill the res up,fire the engine up and then go full lock to opposite full lock a couple of times,job done :D

Just top up your res then B)

Edited by CosKev

Daviewonder
As far as I know just fill the res up,fire the engine up and then go full lock to opposite full lock a couple of times,job done :D

Just top up your res then <_<

as above B)

All Praise The GTI

im in the process of fitting pas to my 205 gti-6 to help my wrists out with thge snatch from the new tran x ive fitted lol.

i didnt pay much attention when got the pump off another engine tho so im not too sure how to fitt it as theres all sorts funny bolts and some spacers. any chance of a pic or some tips mate?

thanks

nat

Gazza 67
im in the process of fitting pas to my 205 gti-6 to help my wrists out with thge snatch from the new tran x ive fitted lol.

i didnt pay much attention when got the pump off another engine tho so im not too sure how to fitt it as theres all sorts funny bolts and some spacers. any chance of a pic or some tips mate?

thanks

nat

Nat, will take some pictures tomorrow, any particular area or just the pump fitment?

Gal

All Praise The GTI

just how the pump bolts on if you can mate

welshpug

noooo!!!!!

don't fire it up straight away, you need to fill the reservoir then turn the steering from lock to lock several times whilst keeping an eye on the fluid level, THEN fire it up keeping an eye on the level again, turn the steering from lock to lock with the engine idling too.

davev

welshpug. im guessing that you recommend that way to limit the amount of time the pump runs dry?

but are you sure thats not abit over kill? as most reservoirs are either straight on the pump or lead direct to it so your talking a fraction of a second dry running at most? id liken it to doing an oil and filter on the engine, as the pump will pick up oil straight away.

if ive missed something and am talking out my ass let me know. :D

Bassman
welshpug. im guessing that you recommend that way to limit the amount of time the pump runs dry?

but are you sure thats not abit over kill? as most reservoirs are either straight on the pump or lead direct to it so your talking a fraction of a second dry running at most? id liken it to doing an oil and filter on the engine, as the pump will pick up oil straight away.

if ive missed something and am talking out my ass let me know. :D

How Welshpug describes it is how the Haynes Manual also describes it. Can't hurt to spend two minutes turning lock-to-lock with the engine off just to bleed it.

When I last did it, I left the reservoir cap off and got my other half to tell me when it stopped bubbling as i turned the wheel, before I fired the engine up.

Rob

philfingers

I once did a road rally with no fluid in the system, the pipe burst straight after scrutineering! The pipes pass through a little bracket right beneath the dizzy and it has sharp edges (thanks peugeot!) which cut through the pipe. I said f*** it if it wrecks the pump it's seize and throw the alternator belt off. In fact we did 100 or so competitive miles and then 150 miles drive home, some new pipes and fluid and it was as good as ever. So running it for a few seconds won't damage it for sure

PS don't try it, a PAS rack with no fluid and a tranX was the cause of my aching arms for a week!

Gazza 67
I once did a road rally with no fluid in the system, the pipe burst straight after scrutineering! The pipes pass through a little bracket right beneath the dizzy and it has sharp edges (thanks peugeot!) which cut through the pipe. I said f*** it if it wrecks the pump it's seize and throw the alternator belt off. In fact we did 100 or so competitive miles and then 150 miles drive home, some new pipes and fluid and it was as good as ever. So running it for a few seconds won't damage it for sure

PS don't try it, a PAS rack with no fluid and a tranX was the cause of my aching arms for a week!

Thanks to everyone for the advice, works a treat and so glad that I fitted it, not to everyone's taste but the wife is well impressed.

thanks

CosKev

The pump is gravity fed,so once you fill the res up to max the feed hose has filled right down to pump.

So as above,just fire it up and it will be fine,its prob not even a second the pump has no fluid in it :)

Gazza 67
The pump is gravity fed,so once you fill the res up to max the feed hose has filled right down to pump.

So as above,just fire it up and it will be fine,its prob not even a second the pump has no fluid in it :D

Should the Power steering fluid pump round all the time or only on demand? After running the car for a week the power steering seems to be providing less assistance. Although much improved from the non PS set up can't work out if it's because the rack is has less turns lock to lock? There has been no fluid loss!! Should I be able to go lock to lock with one finger? :)

CosKev
Should the Power steering fluid pump round all the time or only on demand? After running the car for a week the power steering seems to be providing less assistance. Although much improved from the non PS set up can't work out if it's because the rack is has less turns lock to lock? There has been no fluid loss!! Should I be able to go lock to lock with one finger? :)

Never driven a 205 with PS,but goin by my 309's the power steering is not very light :D

Just enough assistance so you still get a good feel of the road/how the cars gripping etc B)