• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mark80

How To Replace 1.9 Gti Cv Boots?

Mark80

Hi,

I am about to replace an outer and inner cv boot on my 1.9 as they are split. How do I get the 3 bearings off the end of the drive shaft so my boot will fit over?

My haynes manual says to take to a dealer as I need a special tool and the home mechanic cannot do it. It looks like the ring with the 3 bearing on it is placed onto the drive shaft then the drive shaft has liitle tabs knocked into to hold the bearing in place? I do not want to damage my drive shaft!

Edited by Mark80

RossD

I've just done this on one of my drive shafts (Although it's a 1.6 shaft not 1.9). I removed the circlip at the end of the shaft that holds the spider in position and then simply carefully knocked it off with a hammer and chisel. Mine didnt have little 'tabs' on the shaft as you are describing and so it could be slightly different.

welshpug

on a 1.9 for the outer joint you can knock them off the shaft, if you get a GKN boot kit you'll get a new clip to go back on there, as Ross said about the tripod joint it does vary how it is secured, either by a circlip or more often than not a peened over spline or 3.

Mark80
I've just done this on one of my drive shafts (Although it's a 1.6 shaft not 1.9). I removed the circlip at the end of the shaft that holds the spider in position and then simply carefully knocked it off with a hammer and chisel. Mine didnt have little 'tabs' on the shaft as you are describing and so it could be slightly different.

Yeah I have an old 1.6 shaft lying about I looked at. Yeah it has the circlip on the end, simply pop it off and off comes the spider. On the 1.9 though they dont use circlips, they bash or "peep" ,as welshpug has just told me, a few of the splines. I guess peugeot has a good tool for simply peening the splines back again. I just knocked it off just now and used a flatscrew driver to peen a few back once boot was all fitted, hope thats ok.

on a 1.9 for the outer joint you can knock them off the shaft, if you get a GKN boot kit you'll get a new clip to go back on there, as Ross said about the tripod joint it does vary how it is secured, either by a circlip or more often than not a peened over spline or 3.

Thanks for the help guys, amazing they did things like peening splines rather than using circlips, seems so dodgy to me. Even the bearings on the spider on the 1.6 shaft had circlips holding them on. On the 1.9 the bearings are loose and keep falling apart exposing all the internals. Total nightmare.

Edited by Mark80