• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndyJ

Fitting Poly Wishbone Bushes

AndyJ

I had to replace my wishbone bushes the other day, oil had leaked on one of the bushes and caused the rubber to turn to goo... So I swapped on a set of poly bushes, mainly because I hope they will be more oil-resistant. I took some pictures for posterity, and thought they might be useful to someone who's not done it before:

Wishbone pulled off the car:

th_100_0967.jpg

I first tried just levering one of the bushes out using a hammer and chisel in behind the lip, but as you can see in the picture, it just bent the lip. I cut out the rubber centres with a hole saw so I could get a hacksaw in to cut the outer casings out:

th_100_0968.jpg

th_100_0970.jpg

I got the hacksaw in and cut a slit out of the casing, being careful not to cut into the metal of the wishbone. In the picture, I cut 2 slits so I could take a wedge out, and the outer casing came out rediculously easily... but one slit works fine, and I used that for the rest of them.

th_100_0971.jpg

th_100_0973.jpg

th_100_0974.jpg

Bushes are different sizes front and rear (the rear is larger). Here they are prior to fitting:

th_100_0975.jpg

The outer half pushes in easily, then the metal ferrule. I found a couple of them needed a tap from a mallet to go all the way in.

th_100_0978.jpg

th_100_0979.jpg

th_100_0980.jpg

AndyJ

When I offered up the wishbone to refit it, it turned out the rubber of the bushes needed trimming down slightly, so I had to take a couple of mm off each bush with a stanley knife until the rubber was flush with the sleeve.

A generous helping of copper grease, and some persuasion with a bar and lump hammer (the sleeves were a tight fit in the moutings), the wishbones are back on:

th_100_0983.jpg

th_100_0982.jpg

...And now I can drive off without swerving all over like I'm drunk!

miamichris

Are these the poly bushes from matt lewis racing? If so, I have these fitted in my wishbones and also found they needed trimmed, you'd think they would be made the right size! :D

Good guide though, I also use a hole saw to drill the bush out but then I just smack the metal casings out with a hammer and chisel :D