• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Oberon

Can I Use Gti Calipers On My Stdt ?

Oberon

As per above really, I am going to need some new disks and pads in the next few months.

The brake hoses (all) were advisories on me mot, so will probably need doing before next year, will also run some copper lines at this point

I am thinking of how I could further improve the front brakes, I am happy with drums at the back.

The car is fitted standard with vented disks.

Would it be a) as simple as finding and fitting gti calipers or would I also need gti hubs/disks ?

b. a worthwhile upgrade ?

Cheers in advance.

Anthony

It should currently have a combination of base model hubs, 1.9 GTi disks, and 1.6 GTi calipers.

1.9 GTi calipers will bolt straight on with no changes to the disks or hubs, just requiring swapping to 1.9 caliper bolts. I'm not 100% sure whether there is sufficient clearance on the standard 14" wheels, but otherwise it's all straight forward.

jimistdt

I think they're already 1.6 calipers on there, Raj. The hubs are base but the calipers are 1.6.

Maybe once you have replaced the hoses you will have improved feel, but the next weakest link would be the tyres.

Oberon

Cheer guys.

Clearance should'nt be a problem as I have the 1.9 gti alloys.

Anthony do you recomend any particular disks, I was gonna go with ATE ones from ECP which cost around £20 a side

(they also do a groovy one at £30, but I suspect they only look better)

Is there anything I should look out for regarding bendix, girling issues if I do get other calipers ?

Jimi I reckon fresh hoses and fluid will make a marked improvement.

I did'nt know they were 1.6 brakes though, I think later down the line I'll try get hold of some 1.9 cali's and try a rebuild before fitting them.

When I get the disks and pads I'll get the other wishbone aswell, it just don't feel right having a nice shiney one, only on one side.

Tyres are also high on my list.

Cheers

Anthony

I just use standard branded disks and have never had an issues, despite alot of track abuse. Brembo ones from GSF are good, but equally, I've heard no issues with the ATE so they'd be fine.

1.6 Bendix calipers can suffer badly from worn sliders (a clunk when reversing and hitting the brakes is a classic sign) which makes the brakes feel pretty poor. 1.9 calipers don't suffer this problem, and are hence a significant improvement in many cases. Worth doing the hoses and fluid first though seeing as you have to do that anyway for the MOT, but in my experience, it's pedal feel that will be effected, not stopping power.

As said, straight swap from Bendix to Girling - just the bolts that are different, and the pads (obviously). For standard road use, I recommend Ferodo Premier pads - they work very well, and will even tolerate trackday abuse surprisingly well. Halfords sell them, as should most major motorfactors.

Uberderv

I have test fitted a set of Bosch calipers off a Peugeot 206 HDI and they fitted no problem under my 14" GTI wheels (266mm discs). That was on a GRDT so it has base model hubs etc..

Oberon

Nice one guys, I think I'll go for the brembo ones from gsf when I get round to it, they're slightly cheaper aswell.

Interesting about the 206 hdi calipers, may pop into the the local breakers. Are there any other models I could harvest calipers from that would be an

improvement ?

Cheers