• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Compbrake Pedal Box On Offer At £150

Baz

That looks pretty good, does anyone have one of these and are they as good as they look?

ravydavy

I've just bought one Quality is spot on. Well happy. Comes with everything. Bought their bottoms arms too. They are a work of art.

Regards David

philfingers

Thanks, good to know!

I think there was a big thread about the bottom arms. from memory a problem with them fouling the ARB links. It may have been solved now tho,

Phil

ravydavy

Yeah I read about the bottom arms. But for the money they are well worth it. If they foul then they go back (end of)

David.

Baz

I have a pair of their bottom arms, but don't run an ARB, so no issues!!

ravydavy

Baz what do you do to compensate for the lack of the ARB? Up the spring poundage?

David

M_R_205

this is going to sound very stupid but i was thinking of buying a pedal box from compbrake a few weeks ago but held off as i wasnt sure what it would be like having no servo asistance, would it be a pain in the arse for street use or would it be fine? and also what would an MOTer make of it??

Paul.

Baz

Basically yes!

James_R
this is going to sound very stupid but i was thinking of buying a pedal box from compbrake a few weeks ago but held off as i wasnt sure what it would be like having no servo asistance, would it be a pain in the arse for street use or would it be fine? and also what would an MOTer make of it??

Paul.

To find out remove the vacum from the servo and go for a gentle spin in the car. but bear in mind on a pedal box you'd have difference MC's to make it less effort, but it's still harder work than a nice servo'd brake system. Point is you're meant to get more "feel" for braking in that you there is a big force difference between braking hard and locking, so there more modulation in the braking system (in theory) The othe benifit is the bias front to rear. personally I'm happy keeping my pedal relatively light and not over braking the car and using a line valve to bias the front to back braking.

Craigb

Paul.

Had a pedal box on mine when i first bought it , i did one road rally with it on , and took it off as it nearly killed me .

IMHO for the track and for stages there is a benefit to be had , for the road or road rallying they are not necessary .

Baz

It is quite different, but you do get used to it. There's a lot more feel but more effort involved when harder braking on smooth surfaces, it's really a benefit to loose surface driving.

welshpug

I had never driven a car without a servo till I had a session in a mate's 205 rally car on Llandow earlier this year, got used to it within a few laps and found it quite easy to modulate how hard I was pressing.

though I did nearly head-butt my steering wheel in my own car afterwards :ph34r:

brumster

I can only add that correct setup and adjustment on bias pedal boxes is essential but, once set up, they are fine for road use just as much as competition use. I found out last weekend that the pivot point on the pedal is essential in getting the correct leverage and hence balance of pedal effort - I had previously a brake pedal with a rather curious pivot point on the balance bar, about 10mm lower down the pedal than other PTS-pattern boxes out there. In narrowing down why my effort/balance wasn't right, I swapped it for another pedal with the pivot point 'correct' and now my car is 400% better - I'm now getting the braking effort at the front of the car whereas before I was having to stand on the thing to get anything remotely useable.

So, if you're finding a pedal box hard work, it could very well be (i) a s*it pattern/replica pedal box (ii) bad adjustment (iii) incorrect master cylinders or (iv) a problem elsewhere in your system and not necessarily related to the pedal box.

philfingers

i'm happy enough with the std servo and tilton bias valve I have for the back (which most of the time is set to minimum to the rear) BUT the vibration of the m/c hitting the Mi16 cam cover causes lots of vibration. I have tried the lever it over etc but with 3 buffer on the top engine mount it doesn't move anywhere really.

other than that I have no reason to change it, the std setup with servo isn't anywhere near as sharp as modern cars, for road rallying it's fine

boombang

I'd put one on for a circuit car doing relatively short races, but no way would I run one on a road car or stage car - it may be more consistent on the pedal but the extra work you're doing takes it out of you and IMHO can slow you down.

I do though prefer the braking of a pedal box, servo'd cars to me always have too light a brake pedal (especially derv Astravans - sure going to put myself through the windscreen sooner or later!)

Tom Fenton

I run pedal boxes on both of my 205's, in both cases mainly for the clearance they provide, for the cambelt on my Mi16, and the turbo on my (you guessed it) turbo car. It seems lots of people with 205's are happy for the engine and master cylinder to be in close proximity if not contacting, but that is not for me!

Personally I like the fact that the harder you push the harder you stop, but its not for everyone, and careful choice of master cylinders is needed as well. Get the master cylinders wrong and the brake pedal can be literally like standing on a brick, with sod all braking effort!

I'm used to it now, but I do always warn anyone else who drives it to go gently up to 40mph and then brake to a stop to gauge the effort needed before they go shooting off up the road.

Edited by Tom Fenton

Dj_mini

Im not 100% sure but was it not the compbrake pedalboxs that a couple of forum members have had fail?

Baz

Any news on these?

Anyone got one fitted and used in anger?

ravydavy

Funnily enough ive just fitted the compbrake one. where the dash adjuster fits onto the balance bar, it is hitting the throttle pedal/cable. what a stupid idea. and if you put it on the other end it hits the clutch pedal. daft... i'm ringing compbrake now to see if this is right..

reagards david

welshpug

I'm fairly certain that one of the rally cars I look after/service has one of these fitted to it, it has a modified throttle pedal to clear the balance bar adjuster.

The kit they have pictured looks much better than this one on the bracket and fixings for the reservoirs.

jerseypug

my adjuster hits the throttle pedal but that didnt matter as the slotted screw holding the cable in to the rotary adjuster is crap and the cable comes out with any pressure on it. the cylinder sizes they sent kept locking the rears up so i fitted a larger rear cylinder but they still have too much pressure going to them so i am going to fit the compensator back in. I wouldnt refit the servo as it was too close to the cam cover. (gti6) The brakes feel really bad but actually work really well, just takes a bit of getting used to.

Galifrey
my adjuster hits the throttle pedal but that didnt matter as the slotted screw holding the cable in to the rotary adjuster is crap and the cable comes out with any pressure on it. the cylinder sizes they sent kept locking the rears up so i fitted a larger rear cylinder but they still have too much pressure going to them so i am going to fit the compensator back in. I wouldnt refit the servo as it was too close to the cam cover. (gti6) The brakes feel really bad but actually work really well, just takes a bit of getting used to.

You can get aftermarket remote servos if you wish to run a bias pedal box and still want a servo for road use, they are used quite a bit in the kitcar world.

Not sure if THIS would be ideal tho, think it was designed for dual circuit.

Edited by Porsche911r101

Gtautotech

I've also been looking at this compbrake kit but unsure what MC's to get. I'm running willwood 4 pots up front and standard gti rear discs.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers tim

markw

Tim,

exactly the same set up as i have with the compbrake pedalbox

0.625 front master cylinder

0.725 rear master cylinder