• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Weights On 1.9 Style Speedline Wheels

smokey

Morning Guys

Just wondering if its necessary for the balancing weights on speedline wheels to be on the outside?

I remember someone once saying that if you have 1.9 disk breaks then you would need the weights to be on the outside of the wheel or they would foul on the disks?!

Is that true?

Took mine for balancing and they have put the weights on the outside of the wheels. They aren't on the car yet due to the car still being restored, so can't tell yet.

Thanks

Fox

I've always seen them on the inside of the wheel, some behind the face of the wheel, and others at the back. I believe the tyre fitter should have a book telling the fitter where to stick the weights. Every wheel is different you see.

jengis

I have heard that its easier to balance them when weights are on the outside (as well as the very inside) of the rim. Don't know how true that is but a few people I know actually request that they are put on the outside of their rims when they have had fitters poorly balance them with the weights inside. :)

andyjstone

Mine are currently on the inside, but I'm running 1.9 Speedlines on 1.6 hubs at the moment, but about to fit 1.9 hubs with GTI6 brakes, so would be interested to know the answer!

jord294

i think there is nothing more unsightly looking than the weights on the outside of the rim. especially on re-furbed wheels.

the tyre places i use, always use an almost flat weight, which sticks on inside the wheel

i do know though, that if you use gti6 brakes, you'll have to grind a smidgen off the edges of the calipers

andyjstone
i do know though, that if you use gti6 brakes, you'll have to grind a smidgen off the edges of the calipers

You could have told me that before I painted them :)

welshpug

you don't always have to do that, its quite rate to need such drastic action.

if the weights are in the way you'll soon know about it as they wont be there for long :)

omega

think they should allways be on ithe inside no point having nice wheels then having these on the outside damaging paint/etc

andyjstone
you don't always have to do that, its quite rate to need such drastic action.

if the weights are in the way you'll soon know about it as they wont be there for long :rolleyes:

OK, I'll let you know when I fit them - already wiped out the weights once when I had my wheels on Miles' 306 and the brake pads flew out on track!

Cameron

They go wherever they're needed apparently, sometimes its impossible to balance the wheel putting the weights on the inside. When I had my new tyres fitted a couple of weeks ago (very reputable garage) I asked for them to be fitted to the inside, they called me up saying they needed to put a weight on the rim as they couldn't get them balanced. So it depends where the imbalance is, how thorough the fitters are, and how sensitive the machine is.

davev

ive never been unable to balance a wheel with stick on weights. Cameron maybe it was down to very poor machinery or inexperienced(in a rush) fitters.

on whether they go on the outside or not just depends on peoples choice. though a fitter will naturally go for the knock on as its easier(quicker) and the machine is already set up for it( you have to change a setting if you put stick-on weights on)

woodsy

When i balance wheels in my garage i can select which part of wheel i want to put the weights.I always put weights on the inside

of alloys whether it be stick or knock on