• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mhyphenl

Creaking While Steering

mhyphenl

Hi, I've been a long time absent from this forum, moving house! But now I have a lovely garage and want to attack my first major job in the dry! I have power steering and after 5 mins of driving there's quite a loud creak when turning the wheel, sounds like a wooden gallion on the high sea :wub: . Is it the steering rack siezing or something on the front suspension?!

NeilGTi85

could be driveshaft's, that's would be my first check.

mhyphenl
could be driveshaft's, that's would be my first check.

Good point, although it still does it at standstill, would that still apply.

Rich705

I had this problem recently on a non-pas and after getting the Wishbones,droplinks and track rod ends replaced it was as good as new. Hope this helps

richsmells

I had a really bad creak on mine, much like the "wooden galleon" you describe. Especially bad when parking etc. I couldn't figure it out until I jacked the front up and grabbed hold of a droplink I could feel one was vibrating badly when the wheel was turned, probably because the joint had gone dry.

Couple of new ones fitted and it was fixed.

Edited by richsmells

mhyphenl
I had a really bad creak on mine, much like the "wooden galleon" you describe. Especially bad when parking etc. I couldn't figure it out until I jacked the front up and grabbed hold of a droplink I could feel one was vibrating badly when the wheel was turned, probably because the joint had gone dry.

Couple of new ones fitted and it was fixed.

I guess the best thing is to get it in the garage and check all those bits. makes sense that anything dried or seizing on the suspension would cause noise when steering, it all moves together i guess. I'm on to it at the weekend

jason7579
I guess the best thing is to get it in the garage and check all those bits. makes sense that anything dried or seizing on the suspension would cause noise when steering, it all moves together i guess. I'm on to it at the weekend

Did my Track Rod Ends (both sides) this weekend, really easy job (less than an hour each side) and parts were less than £20 from GSF. Just got to get the wheels realigned and all should be fine. But reading up on here I am one of the lucky few who can actually get the TRE's off without a blowtorch / angle grinder / lightsabre / divine miracle.

If I was you I'd jack the car up securely and have the wheels off to check the parts and see if anything obvious needs doing, would save you a fair few £'s for very little effort, instead of taking it to a garage.

gti-si

Alot to check really, best to get a mate to sit in and put some various lock on while you have a feel/listen about. Don't forget to check the lower union as it comes out of the bulkhead, they can get dry and start seizing making some awfull noise.

Then obviously, rack, droplinks, wishbones, pefhaps topmount bearings?

j_turnell

More than likely droplinks, if not will be top mount bearings.

nick

This was covered a while ago and the general answer was droplinks. If you don't want to put new ones on buy some chain lube, stick the straw in the rubber boot and fill 'em up. Did mine ages ago, cured the squeak and still fine now.

Nick

Edp

I had a problem like you describe ages ago. Checked all the things the chaps have said, spending a fair wedge in the process.

It turned out to be the rubber gaitor which the steering rod goes through the bulkhead to attach to the rack. A squirt of WD40 and the noise was gone forever!

Must remember to do the cheap options first :)

whizzer71

Normally ARB drop link/links or strutt top mount bearings

:)

mhyphenl
Normally ARB drop link/links or strutt top mount bearings

:P

Thanks, i've lubricated the rubber boot where the steering column goes through the bulkhead, thats a different kind of 'squeak' but this is a definate creak from the steering / suspension, I'm gonna try the droplinks but come to think of it, it makes an almighty squeak when I go over speed bubs, I thought that was going to be a different problem but it may well be related.

evojay71

I've got this too and it's drivng me nuts whenever I drive it :) So another job to do before the next road rally.

DaveK

+ on droplinks. Had the same problem. Cheap enough part too

dk73
+ on droplinks. Had the same problem. Cheap enough part too

Ive had this problem,

It turned out that the two front wishbones were worn,

The rubbers inside the wishbones were split on both sides.

New hubs replaced too.