• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jimistdt

Beware Of The Beams!

jimistdt

Stripped down a beam this morning that I picked up a couple of days ago. It had was showing no signs of being shot, however once it was pulled apart it showed it's true colours.

Image276.jpg

The other side however was minty

Image277.jpg

I'm not complaining at all - If you buy a none stripped beam this is what you can expect. The beam is now stripped and will be getting zinc'd and powder coated before being treated to some phosfor bronze bushes and new seals.

If you don't know the history of your beam - now is the time to find out. :D

Thank you. :D

Tom Fenton

As a second hand beam goes that is good really. Most that I take apart are far far worse than that, full of rusty shyte and no sign of a smooth journal on the shaft.

SurGie

It looks the typical drivers side..

Edit > it looks burned from that picture.

Edited by SurGie

jimistdt

To be fair Tom, it came apart pretty easily, there was fresh grease in there, the outer bearing was missing a couple of rollers that apparantly sat atop the properly seated rollers and damaged the tube as above.

I have seen much worse posted before, in fact the one me and Graham removed from my car was royally f'd.

Still it wouldn't have lasted much longer.

It's not burned Surge, it's just the old grease that has smeared when I wiped it off.

Edited by jimistdt

Anthony

I've been saying the same for years...

To be honest, if that's a beam that has never been refurbished, you did very well - the vast majority are in much worse state than that, even when they subjectively appear OK from the outside. A good way to look at it is thus: if it is showing death symptoms, then it's knackered, whereas if it's not showing death symptoms, then there's a possibility that it's not knackered

jackherer

I've taken apart 15+ GTI beams over the years and none were reusable!