• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Drum Back Plates, All The Same?

pugpete1108

i was hoping to salvage the back plates from my beam to fit on the new beam with new shoes cables etc. but after a good soak in vinegar over night and a good wire brush i think they may be past saving (lots of corrosion).

i was wondering if all drum backs were the same regardless of model?

i have another set here (bendix ones i believe) mine are girling but they seem worse than mine before i started cleaning them.

are they both the same fitment? regardless of what shoes are used?

pug_ham

No, lower spec drum brake backplates are different.

The rear wheel cylinder is a bendix & has a built in compensator that takes a 13mm M12 (iirc) union so the hole in the back plate is more oval & won't accept the 1.6 GTI girling wheel cylinders which are round.

Graham.

pugpete1108

ah right, will i have an issue then fitting my girling plates to arms that have had bendix plates fitted to them?

pug_ham

If you have a set of bade model plates with Bendix cylinders you should be able to see the difference where they fit through the back plate.

The Girling plates will bolt straight onto any radius arm, the centre four mounting bolts have the same spacing.

Graham.

pugpete1108
If you have a set of bade model plates with Bendix cylinders you should be able to see the difference where they fit through the back plate.

The Girling plates will bolt straight onto any radius arm, the centre four mounting bolts have the same spacing.

Graham.

i did compare and i did notice they had different cylinders fitted. so i need a not set of girling ones then and i take it they are only fitted to gti models?

pug_ham
so i need a not set of girling ones then and i take it they are only fitted to gti models?

Kinda, you need a none bendix set but afaik the Girling ones are only fitted to either the 205 GTI but possibly some 309's & ZX's.

I've got a pair freshly hammerited somewhere.

Graham.

jimistdt

Graham.

I think they're near the fridge, G. :D

:(

PS, If you want Pete to have them, I'll come and pick them up, they can go with the tube.

Edited by jimistdt

pugpete1108
Kinda, you need a none bendix set but afaik the Girling ones are only fitted to either the 205 GTI but possibly some 309's & ZX's.

Graham.

sounds good, what do you want for them?

pug_ham
I think they're near the fridge, G. :unsure:

:lol:

No they aren't, I moved them into another pile with a few more bits somewhere else. :lol:

Pete, pm sent.

Cheers,

Graham.

jimbob

How do you tell if you have bendix or girling, i have a phase 2 1991 1.6 GTi

Also can u purchase new backing plates from pug or gsf......

pug_ham
How do you tell if you have bendix or girling, i have a phase 2 1991 1.6 GTi

Also can u purchase new backing plates from pug or gsf......

lower spec drum brake backplates are different.

The rear wheel cylinder is a bendix & has a built in compensator that takes a 13mm M12 (iirc) union so the hole in the back plate is more oval & won't accept the 1.6 GTI girling wheel cylinders which are round.

<_<

Your car should have girling rear drum brakes, afaik only the lower spec models ever had the Bendix rears fitted because the rear wheel cylinders have a built in compensator which is seperate onthe 1.6 GTI.

To try to make it more definate though, look at the union on the brake pipe where it goes into the back of the wheel cylinder, it should be 10mm, if its 13mm then you have Bendix brakes.

As for the back plates, GSF won't stock them & I'd be surprised if Pug had any but around the time this topic was posted there was a seller (Pug dealers in idlands iirc) selling them @ £40 each but I haven't seen them listed for a long time.

Graham.

welshpug

They're all Marked NFP on servicebox bar one Right hand plate for a 30mm wide shoe, i.e non gti.

The 306 did use Girling brakes in 180mm diameter, but they were only 30mm wide shoes, I guess the backplate might be a different offset but can't say for certain as I've never compared them.