• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Quick Release Steering Bosses.

hexhamstu

I'm still uming and ahing about which quick release set up to use. The boss + QR + steering wheel set up seems a bit bulky and I'm worried about having any sort of unwanted play in the steering.

Has anyone fitted one of these?

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p14438/L...oduct_info.html

How fine are the splines, am I guaranteed to be able to get the wheel 100% straight? It's pricey but it looks clean, simple and quality.

I'm definitely set on a OMP corsica esque wheel. Seem to go for about £70 delivered on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is this a copy with an OMP horn stuck in the middle?

So what set ups are people running? Wheel make model place you bought it etc.

Thanks for anyones input.

Atari Boy

I am using a fake Corsa wheel like the one above and I must say so far so good. I know it won't last as long but it was cheap, so I don't care. Mine came with a real horn push too.

hexhamstu

They seem to be selling them as if they are real OMP wheels, but I thought there was supposed to be an OMP engraving on the bottom ?spoke? of the wheel. as per this picture

http://www.southwestmotorsport.com/shop/images/corsica.bmp

Either way I've had a look at a copy and they seemed of fair quality so not really bothered either way.

EdCherry

The lifeline bosses are great.

We use the formula boss on the formula ford I work on. Aslong as the splines are welded on straight then your boss will always be in the same position. Really cant rate them enough.

Ive worked on cars that have had the 'snap-off' boss that had loads of play in it and one of the wilwood hex bosses which had so much play in I couldn't believe the guy had it on his car!

I got some pictures somewhere, although of the formula boss will upload them in a second.

hexhamstu

So it actually slides onto the original splines and then you weld it in place?

hexhamstu

When it says "Touring Car - (6 x 70mm PCD steering wheel fitment e.g. Sparco)"

Is the OMP wheel 6x70mm PCD?

EdCherry
So it actually slides onto the original splines and then you weld it in place?

No, id remove the original splines while making sure you cut the surface true so you then weld the new splines on. It has a master spline so the boss can only go on in one position. Makes it alot easier if you only remove the wheel with the steering wheel point straight ahead.

When it says "Touring Car - (6 x 70mm PCD steering wheel fitment e.g. Sparco)"

Is the OMP wheel 6x70mm PCD?

Believe it is yes, images are uploading now.

EdCherry

Uploaded the images and they are all blurry oops.

Next time in in college if you still want it will get a picture.

hexhamstu

yeah please do!

Getting it welded 100% straight sounds like a task and a half. I guess you could weld it a little in the car then take it out and finish off?

Cameron

I use a Lifeline boss, its 100% awesomes.

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

It has one thick spline so it always lines up right when you put it back on. :D

hexhamstu

Did you weld it on yourself? How did you make sure you got it 100% straight when you welded it? Where did you buy it? How much did you pay? What dish wheel is that? Are you happy with the dish? How much did you trim off the original steering column?

hexhamstu

Cameron: Just looked through your project thread so I guess some of the above questions don't apply.

GLPoomobile

If you can wait until later, I'll get some photos of my quick release boss.

hexhamstu
If you can wait until later, I'll get some photos of my quick release boss.

I'm in no rush to buy one. Taking the steering wheel off everynight is pretty laboursome at the moment. But if it saves my car then I don't mind.

Cameron

Should be alright! To be honest if you're only using it as a security measure and its mostly a road car you don't need anything fancy.

hexhamstu

Think im gonna buy it. If theres any play in it im hacking it off again and sending it back :|

large

Stu, I have been giving this some thought. I think you would be better off getting a good steering lock. This is mainly because I believe the addition of something is more noticeable then the removal (no matter how big).

Given the IQ of most car thieves in Swansea I would not put it past them to break in and then notice the big round thing is gone. :rolleyes:

hexhamstu
Stu, I have been giving this some thought. I think you would be better off getting a good steering lock. This is mainly because I believe the addition of something is more noticeable then the removal (no matter how big).

Given the IQ of most car thieves in Swansea I would not put it past them to break in and then notice the big round thing is gone. <_<

I know what you mean, but almost all steering locks are beatable. No steering wheel is a bit harder to beat. The door has already been bent so aslong as they bend the same door. It's not that big a deal. With the steering wheel off I can be safe in the knowledge the car isn't going to become a victim of joy riding. With a steering lock I would only be 50% sure.

EdCherry

In my own opinion no matter what you what boss you buy it won't have play in it when you first get it, its after driving with it you will find they start to develop play.

I also looked at some of the cheaper spline'd bosses like merlin motorsport's own and racetech ones, in the end I decided it would be better to go with what I know.

hexhamstu

Well I've paid for it. I'll write a review or something about how I get on. Car has developed an electrical problem today :| very annoying.

large
I know what you mean, but almost all steering locks are beatable. No steering wheel is a bit harder to beat. The door has already been bent so aslong as they bend the same door. It's not that big a deal. With the steering wheel off I can be safe in the knowledge the car isn't going to become a victim of joy riding. With a steering lock I would only be 50% sure.

As long as the havn't got ant mole grips. <_< .

EdCherry
As long as the havn't got ant mole grips. <_< .

Id pay to see you drive around with just mole grips... :lol:

large
Id pay to see you drive around with just mole grips... <_<

If you set them at 12 o'clock it like driving something from star wars.

EdCherry

Do you pull back to get lift over bridges/crests?