• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DooBeDooBeDo

Ball Joint Guard Plates?

DooBeDooBeDo

Hello again - more advice sought about removing the engine.

Haynes says to remove the ball joint guard plates, please excuse my ignorance, but WTF are they?

I'm obviously doing something wrong as I now have the left hand drive shaft hanging out, but not completely out so I can't the my dowel in to stop the gear falling down inside the 'box for when I pull out the other side.

Anthony

They're usually missing in my experience, which might be why you're a bit confused. It's a L shaped bit of metal that sits over the balljoint pin facing the hub which - I assume - acts as a sort-of crude heatshield to protect the ball joints from heat and dust given off by the brakes.

DooBeDooBeDo
They're usually missing in my experience, which might be why you're a bit confused. It's a L shaped bit of metal that sits over the balljoint pin facing the hub which - I assume - acts as a sort-of crude heatshield to protect the ball joints from heat and dust given off by the brakes.

Thanks that explains why I can't find anything which could fit the description.

So the drive shaft should come right out now then? 'cos it won't - do I need to remove the brake hose? It's still got some play in it.

DooBeDooBeDo

Removed the brake hose - it' still won't come all the way :)

DooBeDooBeDo

a picture speaks a thousand words - so here is where I'm at

e6b3468fa8.jpg

EdCherry

What are you trying to do specifically? remove the driveshaft? or the hub?

hexhamstu

you havent undone the hub bolt on the end of the drive shaft?

DooBeDooBeDo
What are you trying to do specifically? remove the driveshaft? or the hub?

I'm removing the engine - following Haynes method. It didn't say to remove the shaft from the hub - or to remove the hub completely, but I'm starting to think that I'll need to do one of those...

EdCherry

Haynes is a load of bollocks.

Removing an engine is common sense really!

Have you remove the bottom pinch bolt to the hub? I see you still have the steering arms connected, remove them. Once those are off just slide the driveshaft out with the hub complete.

On the other side remember to undo the hockey sticks for the bearing in the rear engine mounting, two of them. Repeast on the otherside and you can remove that hub and driveshaft.

After that im sure you can figure it out yourself.

With engine crane = gearbox attached to engine out the top

Without engine crane = gearbox attached/detached out of the bottom

DooBeDooBeDo
Haynes is a load of bollocks.

Removing an engine is common sense really!

Have you remove the bottom pinch bolt to the hub? I see you still have the steering arms connected, remove them. Once those are off just slide the driveshaft out with the hub complete.

On the other side remember to undo the hockey sticks for the bearing in the rear engine mounting, two of them. Repeast on the otherside and you can remove that hub and driveshaft.

After that im sure you can figure it out yourself.

With engine crane = gearbox attached to engine out the top

Without engine crane = gearbox attached/detached out of the bottom

Thanks Ed, I was thinking about removing the hub by undoing the pinch bolt as it seems the path of least resistance to get the driveshaft out.

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you mean by hockey sticks. I see a bearing and a couple of bolts for the right hand shaft. But now I'm sure Haynes is lying to me I will suss it out. I'm going to hire a crane and pull it out the top.

Thanks for your help :)

Masekwm

Hockey sticks are on the bit the shaft comes through next to the lower engine mount.

Unless you are putting the new engine straight in, just drop that engine to the floor and lift the car up and drag it out :D

welshpug

you undid the wrong pinch bolt!