• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DooBeDooBeDo

Top Hub Carier Clamp Olt Removal

DooBeDooBeDo

I'm doing an engine transplant - following Haynes it says to remove the top hub carrier clamp bolts. After a major struggle to get the nuts off on both sides neither bolt will move. Any hints on how I can get them out?

These are the ones:e161afbfd6.jpg

welshpug

bigger hammer :)

jimistdt

I've come accross these that won't budge before and I've also had ones that came straight out. The danger is if you hit them too many times with a BFH then you'll mushroom the head and it won't pass through the hole.

Try heating it with a blow torch, letting it cool down and repeating the proccess, spraying it liberally with PlusGas in-between.

M@tt

a load of plus gas and heat from a blow lap on the hub surrounding the bolt will do it.

Also wind the nut back onto the bolt(no so that bolt sticks through the nut) and give it a hit with a hammer (not too hard that it deforms the nut too much that it won't undo again though)

Tom Fenton

Just belt the cnut out with a hammer and fit a new one!

DooBeDooBeDo

Thanks guys.

I tried the big hammer route but was scared of mushrooming the end - I already did a bit but I'll grind that off, it's already soaked in WD40 - I'll try heat.

EdCherry

If it aint moving you aint hitting it hard enough! :)

DooBeDooBeDo

Heat and bashing the crap out of it did it :)

j_turnell

You shouldnt need to remove the bolt, just the nut, then get an allen key or sump plug remover and fit in the slot in the back of the hub and turn 45 degs then the hub will tap off the strut if thats what your trying to achieve.

DooBeDooBeDo

That was what I was trying to achieve. The bolts were practically welded in. Once I moved them I was able to get a wedge in (I love my cold chisel) to open up the gap and get the struts off.

j_turnell

Glad you got it out ok but for future reference you dont need to touch them atall, you can open up the hub with the bolts still in place. :)