• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Rear Brake Hose Issue.

Rupertfinch

The problem I have is that the MOT tester has stated that my rear brake hoses are too long. The car has had ABS stripped and been repiped to include brand new compensators (although it's a 1.6 it has 1.9 brake set-up). I left it over with my mechanic to do the work and of the 6 supplied goodridge hoses he only used the longest pair.

Should the rears be a 2 hose setup? If so it appears he may have used the front hoses on the rear? Hence they're too long for MOT.

Any advice or photos of correct setup would be appreciated, I've had a look through a few threads but can't seem to fathom this one.

Mark

Tom Fenton

As standard there should be 2 short flexibles at the rear, one from the car to the bracket mounted off the lower damper mount, and then another from the trailing arm bracket to the caliper itself. What you can do is use one flex from car to beam, and then use a solid pipe to the caliper, as per later Peugeots, 306/206etc etc

mrswampy

if he tells you how much too long it is i can supply you with one made to spec

Rich_p

I'd say it does sound like he has fitted the fronts to the back.

pug_ham
I'd say it does sound like he has fitted the fronts to the back.

You can't fit the front hoses to the back, they have different ferrules.

The front hose have a male & a female ferrule where the two hoses around the beam have two female ferrules.

These two hoses certainly shouldn't be the longest pair anyway, they should be the middle length of the set afaik.

Front hoses longest, hoses around beam middle & radius arm to rear caliper shortest imo.

My car runs the set up described by Tom, flexi round the beam to solid pipe into the caliper.

Graham.

davev

theres one thing i dont quite get here. what has the length of hose got to do with the mot? surely he must mean its fouling on something?

i mean even if the hose went to the rear bumper and back, as long as it was all secured safely and not dangerous or twisted then theres not a thing it could fail on.

anyways id say take a look underneath, make sure that the fixing points are in place(bolted to body and bottom of shock) and check that the hose doesnt touch the beam or rub against anything.

Daviewonder

Maybe its because the hoses hang down to low and theres a risk of them getting snagged on something and getting ripped out?

davev

the hose would have to be a few foot long to hang low enough to get caught IMO.

this is my hose(you can also see the mounting points)

th_DSCF0028.jpg

pug_ham

That looks fine to me & as if its the correct hose.

Graham.

Daviewonder

Dont see any problem with that, looks like its the same sort of size as the standard one.

davev

im not the one with the problem.lol.

i was just showing that as long as its positioned/mounted correct then the length should not matter.

it also gives rupert something to compare against, to understand why his failed the mot.