• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JR20516V

205 Rear Beam On A 5 Door Same As A Gti?

JR20516V

As above. I guess the 5 door 205 rear beam is the same as a 205 GTi.....can anybody confirm please.

cheers

Anthony

5 door models have the same beamtube as base model 3dr's, which is useable in place of a GTi tube if you're rebuilding a knackered GTi beam.

Non-GTi beams have thinner torsion and anti-roll bars (some have no ARB!) and different drum brakes to 1.6 GTi beams. Fitting the beam as-is will do the handling no favours as a result of those thinner bars.

SurGie

What is the 86 1.4 GT rear beam like, is it like the 1.6 when it comes to the ARB etc ?

Baz

Same as the XS.

JR20516V

Thanks Anthony....as always you are a mine of info.

mhyphenl
Thanks Anthony....as always you are a mine of info.

Just be aware that the non Gti beam tube is slightly smaller in diameter by about 5mm in the centre even though the same trailing arms and shafts are used, it just means that if you're gonna re-fit the brace under the fuel tank the clamp won't tighten on. Had to pack mine out until i get another gti beam.

Maccer

Is the 1.8D rear beam the same as a 1.6 GTi?

Anthony
Is the 1.8D rear beam the same as a 1.6 GTi?

No, as per the comments above regarding a 5dr beam - all base model beams are inferior to a GTi beam in terms of brakes, torsion and anti-roll bars, but they can be canabalised for parts (shafts, tube) to rebuild a dead GTi beam.