• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
decoc182

Driveshafts Query

decoc182

Just wanted to check, im converting my 1.4 rallye to run an XU engine and be gearbox. I have been told that I can use 1.6 gti drive shafts and retain my TU base model hubs. Just wanted to see if this worked before shelling out on driveshafts. Otherwise its 1.9 shafts and hubs then?

MerlinGTI
Just wanted to check, im converting my 1.4 rallye to run an XU engine and be gearbox. I have been told that I can use 1.6 gti drive shafts and retain my TU base model hubs. Just wanted to see if this worked before shelling out on driveshafts. Otherwise its 1.9 shafts and hubs then?

1.6 shafts indeed fit base model hubs, you will need to run 1.9 girling calipers and disks with this setup, rather than 1.6 brakes.

Please wait for someone to confirm the above before you go out spending tho ;)

Anthony
1.6 shafts indeed fit base model hubs, you will need to run 1.9 girling calipers and disks with this setup, rather than 1.6 brakes.

Won't need to touch the brakes at all if he's retaining his existing hubs. As said, 1.6 GTi driveshafts fit base model hubs fine.

MerlinGTI
Won't need to touch the brakes at all if he's retaining his existing hubs.

lol durhh, I didn't read his post propley, I was in the mindset that he was changing to base model hubs, yup as Anthony said ignore the brake bit!

decoc182

so HDI 266mm lucas callipers with discs should fit fine with base model hubs using 1.6 shafts. hmmm no gotta find some shafts :)

pug_ham
so HDI 266mm lucas callipers with discs should fit fine with base model hubs using 1.6 shafts. hmmm no gotta find some shafts :rolleyes:

Yes, they should bolt straight on.

Graham.

vickiw106

if your interested i have a set of 1.6 gti new shafts for sale

pm if your interested

mattbenselin

I have just done this, swap 1.6 gti hubs to base model ones using 1.6 drive shafts and 1.9 brakes and discs.

Gives you the option to upgrade to better brakes in the future. Also never had any problems with 1.6 shafts.

Jobs a fish.

foreigner

That's very interesting as last year someone told me that 1.6 driveshafts don't fit base hubs. I have to dig up the topic