• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Refurbing Hubs

andyjstone

I'm cleaning up an old pair of 1.9 hubs I bought off Baz and I have two questions:

1. Can I just use normal black engine paint?

2. One of the bearings has some play in it so I might as well change them both while I'm at it, is this easy to do or does it require any special tools, etc?

EdCherry

1. Can do, should last well too.

2. Just a press as far as im aware.

andyjstone
2. Just a press as far as im aware.

So how do you get them apart to start with and if I don't have a press is it worth getting one just for this or is there someone I can take/send them to?

EdCherry

Id get them down to garage if they are bare, presses can be a fair wad of cash for a one off use so no point in forking out for one. Miles will be able to do it for you pretty easily.

Daviewonder

you dont need a press just hit the old one out with a big socket and a club hammer then hit the new one in using the outer shell of the old bearing, a piece of wood and the club hammer. ;)

andyjstone
you dont need a press just hit the old one out with a big socket and a club hammer then hit the new one in using the outer shell of the old bearing, a piece of wood and the club hammer. ;)

OK, sounds good to me, and where's the best place to get a replacement bearing kit?

Daviewonder

You could go direct to peugeot but i have no idea how much they charge, ive only ever used BRT bearings from my local motor factor and ive never had any problem with these. You would probably be looking at about £15-£20 a side ;)

Miles

Don;t use GSF on these as the bearings are not that great, SKF bearing's are a must for the Front'

A press is a must, you cannot hit bearing's in or on as it can damage them.

Any Garage should be able to do this but you can always sent it to me and I'll swap them over at no cost as it doesn;t take long at all

PS, The lower ball joint is the Wishbone, Needs a complete unit again find a Motoquip dealer as they are OE Pug items which are hugly better than anything else

andyjstone
Don;t use GSF on these as the bearings are not that great, SKF bearing's are a must for the Front'

Any Garage should be able to do this but you can always sent it to me and I'll swap them over at no cost as it doesn;t take long at all

You are the man - I will get the bearings in and send them down to you - I've found some SNR kits, are these no good?

PS, The lower ball joint is the Wishbone, Needs a complete unit again find a Motoquip dealer as they are OE Pug items which are hugly better than anything else

Thanks will get them.

PPS

Did you get the exhaust pics I sent you?

Alan_M

Yeah, don't use the hammer technique. Both my 2nd hand hubs with newish bearings in had bent caliper lugs, probably caused by smacking an unsecure hub far too hard.

Use a press, but beware the eyes of the circlip can snap off......... :)

pugpete1108

i have done both my fronts with a big hammer and they are still good after 4 yrs service, as long as you get only the outer race its ok. i found a few short sharp blows with a club hammer and a socket that sits on the outer race works well.

but obviously if you can get hold of a press its far easier to get them out without damaging the hub

Edited by pugpete1108

Paul_13

Andy, theres a place in Hurst on the Grange farm industrial estate that can press the bearings in and out.

He started his business selling 205 GTI's. Know his sh!t

andyjstone
Andy, theres a place in Hurst on the Grange farm industrial estate that can press the bearings in and out.

He started his business selling 205 GTI's. Know his sh!t

Cheers for that, I'll give them a go - there seem to be a few on Grange Farm, do you know if is Autotec, Berkshire Autos, Auto Trans or RPM Mechanics????

davemar

The hard bit can be getting the circlip out. I recently did mine, and it was so rusted in it was indistinguishable from the hub. The whole thing had to the heated until red and really butchered out. Once the hub was hot, tapping the old bearing out was a bit easier. If the ball bearings and inner race come out (which is possible if the plastic gets knackered) there isn't a lot of surface on the outer race to press against which can make it a lot harder.

20 years of rust and hard wear can make a simple job a lot harder.

johny105_y2k

i used a vice & socket to press the bearing in, nice steady pressure applied all the way home., smashed it out with a hammer. :)

davemar: i always thought it was a big nono to use substantial heat on a hub.?????