• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Gti6 Brake Caliper Cleaning

andyjstone

I'm cleaning up a pair of GTI6 brake calipers ready for painting and putting on the 205 and I have three questions:

1. Is the grease on the slide pins anything special?

2. There is a bit of play in the slide pins, but when everything is assembled it feels solid, is this normal?

3. I have removed the brake pipe and bleed nipple and filled the holes with paper, but how important is it to keep every last speck of dirt out the holes?

EdCherry

1. Rubber Grease Normally.

2. Wouldn't worry about it personally.

3. Keep out as much as possible, find a bolt for the brake pipe thread and just wrap the bleed nipple in tape, once you've finished painting taking them both out and clean the bleed nipple.

Whens your first outing with the new work then andy?

andyjstone

Thanks for that, rubber grease sounds a bit strange, what's that all about?

It's currently away for a couple of days having the mapping checked, I pick it up later this week. It was already running great, so hopefully it will be even better. I spend the summer in Spain, just back for a few days now for some meetings and catching up on 205 bits, so won't get a chance to do much with it before September, but I'm at the Cadwell Park do on Sept 9th - don't think I'll have the front end done by then though, still be running the 1.6 hubs and scuffing the arches ;)

jimistdt

You should use copper grease/copper slip on the sliders as it withstands the high temperatures created by the brakes work. You can put a really small amount on the back of the pads so long as there are no holes in the back of the pad.

large

I did a set of 1.9 std breaks and used an EP2 grease.

Also had a bit of play in the slide pins.

Try and keep as much crap out of them as posible or it will mix in with the fluid and act as an abrasive.

Ryan
You should use copper grease/copper slip on the sliders as it withstands the high temperatures created by the brakes work. You can put a really small amount on the back of the pads so long as there are no holes in the back of the pad.

Copper grease is really an anti-seize compound, not a lubricant. It's not meant for moving parts. It's tiny metal particles suspended in oil and will act as grinding paste over time.

jimistdt

We are talking about the sliders and not the pistons aren't we?

andyjstone
We are talking about the sliders and not the pistons aren't we?

Yes, at least that's what my original question was about.

The general opinion seems to be (having reviewed the responses on here and Google) is that Copper grease isn't the best thing, it should br rubber grease, which isn't that easy to get hold of, but I have ordered some.

pugpete1108

i used copper grease on mine when i rebuilt them, but they havent seen the road yet so who knows??

might whip them off and chuck some lm grease on there instead

andyjstone
i used copper grease on mine when i rebuilt them, but they havent seen the road yet so who knows??

might whip them off and chuck some lm grease on there instead

Might be best to change it as far as I can see Copper grease does not work well in these applications as it tends to dry out and has only limited lubrication properties, it is only designed for the back brake shoes where no real lubrication is required.

Rubber grease is specifically designed for this purpose as it is high temperature and non-petroleum based so it doesn't

damage the rubber seals.

pugpete1108

its only really good for stopping things getting stuck i should imagine, and given the fact the car might not see the road for a while i will put it on the to do list before the mot, that way they shouldn't sieze up while its sat there.

i got some high temp lithium based grease that should do the trick, not sure how that reacts with rubber though

andyjstone
its only really good for stopping things getting stuck i should imagine, and given the fact the car might not see the road for a while i will put it on the to do list before the mot, that way they shouldn't sieze up while its sat there.

i got some high temp lithium based grease that should do the trick, not sure how that reacts with rubber though

I bought this item on ebay: 400039889928& - a number of people recommended it, hasn't arrived yet, but hopefully it will do the trick.

EdCherry

Rubber grease is the only stuff you should consider when rebuilding calipers or such like. I got a similar package andy and it will do the job fine.

andyjstone
Rubber grease is the only stuff you should consider when rebuilding calipers or such like. I got a similar package andy and it will do the job fine.

Cheers Ed, are you coming to Cadwell on the 9th?

EdCherry
Cheers Ed, are you coming to Cadwell on the 9th?

I wish :D , if im free I might come watch but wont be on the track.