• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Beam Shafts, How Do These Look?

pugpete1108

got these out of the motherinllaws garden today (been sitting outside for ages)

i gave them a bit of a clean just some surface rust in places

they look good to me, no pitting or grooves that i can feel.

are they o.k to use?

th_DSCF0021.jpg

th_DSCF0022.jpg

th_DSCF0025.jpg

th_DSCF0026.jpg

welshpug

too far gone IMO, you can see the pitting on the outer bearing surface where each bearing has worn the surface over a very small area.

Miles

Dito, way too far gone but I have seen people use these in co called Recon Beams.

pugpete1108

anyone know the price of a set of new beam shafts? and do they need to be pressed in ? or will a big hammer do?

welshpug

it varies how much force is needed, I wouldn't want to try knocking one out having had 15tons of pressure on one before it went, though nowhere near that much going back in, you do need to be accurate pressing them in to allow space for the yellow neoprene seal.

generally GSF is cheapest, IF they have stock, try Miles, or Peugeot.

Edited by welshpug

pugpete1108

cheers i will have a hunt around

the shafts in the pic have no actual bearing grooves in them (they are smooth to touch) it just looks like they are glazed over but then i am no expert.

Anthony
the shafts in the pic have no actual bearing grooves in them (they are smooth to touch) it just looks like they are glazed over but then i am no expert.

If there is definately absolutely no pitting/indentations and it's only polishing, for use of a better word, then they'll probably be fine - hard to tell from the photos, but they certainly look notably worn/pitted rather than polished to me. If you were to reuse them, then I'd press them out, and press them back in 180 degrees round, so the polished area is on the comparitively unloaded side of the shaft.

Also, where you've cleaned up the shaft around where the inner bearing sits, is that just discolouration, or had the corrosion eaten into the shaft? If it's the later, I'd not use them.

You'll really need a hydraulic press to remove and fit new shafts - generally about 6 tons needed to press out, and about 2-3 back in.

pugpete1108
If there is definately absolutely no pitting/indentations and it's only polishing, for use of a better word, then they'll probably be fine - hard to tell from the photos, but they certainly look notably worn/pitted rather than polished to me. If you were to reuse them, then I'd press them out, and press them back in 180 degrees round, so the polished area is on the comparitively unloaded side of the shaft.

Also, where you've cleaned up the shaft around where the inner bearing sits, is that just discolouration, or had the corrosion eaten into the shaft? If it's the later, I'd not use them.

You'll really need a hydraulic press to remove and fit new shafts - generally about 6 tons needed to press out, and about 2-3 back in.

How come every job i start on this bl**dy car ends up costing me a headache and wads of cash ;)

but i suppose i should do it properly so new shafts it is especially if i would have to press them out anyway just to reuse

thanks for the advise guys.

Tom Fenton

If it were for my own car I'd probably give those a try. If when fitted you find that they have play, then you have lost nothing and can then buy a pair of new shafts.

MerlinGTI

About 107 the pair delivered from GSF, pug branded ones too . Bought some a month or so ago ;)

joe1joe

in my opinion they are def usuable (from the pic that is) how long do u iontend to keep the car??? etc seen people use alot worse and bee fine for some time...... and u can hit them out with a hammer in the vice, (muscles!!!!!!!)

and to get them back in u can just push them in with ur hands...... tube in the freezer, and heat casting... and its the just a push fit ....... got to be very quick tho!! or u will be doing it over again.....

joe1joe

and if this was a full blown track car/rally car...... or was a expensive restoration then u might look at it diffrently.......