• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest danielnf82

Rear Axle Mounts

Guest danielnf82

Hey all,

had a loud thump from the rear left every little bump and crack in the road.my mate had a long look at the possible cause but found nothing.

After a while and a little worrying i got him to have another look and drive the car.he now thinks it is the rear rubber axle mount which needs replacing but he cant do it for a few weeks due to working away and im a complete novice.im pressuming the thump noise is the rear axle smacking the body of the car with nothing to cussion it.

im having to use the car more often for a week or two,should i stop till its fixed and how long would it be before there is a nice big dent in the boot floor? :)

jimistdt

You could do this yourself, Danny boy. :)

READ ME!

10 -20 minute job, no need to wait weeks.

This is the nut you need to loosen under the car.

Image272.jpg

Then the others can be accessed from the boot. Loosen up the two sets towards the rear seats, then the two under the plastic covers. You can then get enough room to remove and refit the new mounts.

Good luck.

pugpete1108

i wouldn't know about how much damage it will do without seeing how badly the rubber is damaged.

they are fairly easy to do with basic tools, just a matter of undoing the rear mounting bolt completly, lowering the rear beam on the four front mounting bolts(not removing them completly) and the the bush to bracket bolt, removing the broken bush and replacing.

decent set of axle stands needed though :)

beat me to it jim :(

Edited by pugpete1108

Guest danielnf82

Cheers boys,i thought you had to take the whole subframe out from the car :lol:

i think i might have a crack at that.Although i am pissed at the moment coz i just went to pick the misses up from work and noticed a very long key scratch down the length of the passenger door.not only that oh no! a bllody great dent in the drivers door. ;)

so i got that to sort out to the basterds who ever they might be :excl:

welshpug

you will need to drop the beam to do the front mountings, there's no chance you can get anywhere near them on the car.