• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shalmaneser

Gaz Spring Issues

shalmaneser

Hi,

Finally got round to putting on my Gaz suspension bought from the group buy ages ago. I've successfulyy taken the old dampers to pieces but when offerning up the new springs they seem EXTREMELY short and don't even need to be compressed to bolt up the to the top mounts - i'm fairly convinced that this is not right!!!!

Anyway, heres some pics, any suggestion hugely appreciated! need to get this done today, worst comes to worst i can put the old springs back on but would like to avoid if possible.

There's a number written on the springs too, might be of some use to someone!

Cheers,

Adam.

Pics:

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

welshpug

8" 240 LB?

Henry 1.9GTi

^^ my thoughts

Miles

As said, I'm guessing there are the fixed platform damper's?. But if the springs where supplied they should take up all the free play in the damper rod length and not have a issue of falling out of the pan/s as this is a MOT failure and can be very dangerious

shalmaneser

Turns out i was being a tit and hadn't put the top mounts together in the right order - the springs are fine.

Also took the opportunity to fit 309 'bones - I was expecting to have to have the car re-tracked, but f*ck me the thing is practically undrivable! drove 40mph the whole way home through empty NSL roads, the first time i've ever done that! Had a car behind me, he must have thought i was drunk - i mean who else other than drunkards drives around at 40 in a NSL at 11.00 at night on a sunday in a gti?

I reckon there's about 2 degrees of toe out, makes it effectively impossible to go round corners! Everything else in nice and tight like a tiger so that's good though, the car has stopped making a number of unpleasant clunking noises when driven over potholes.

I replaced the top mounts, springs, dampers (F&R) and changed the 205 'bones for polybushed 309 items. Will see how the polybushes go, as I'm aware not everyone is enamoured with them!

unfortuately noticed a bit of play in the NS drop link, so once that's been replace effectively the whole front suspension system will be brand new, which is a nice thought - although not nice for my wallet!

just a 309 rear beam to fit and the suspension and brakes will be as i want them...then time to look for engines.... <_<