• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  

Front Strut

I've noticed that both the piston rod nuts (large nut on the top mount) are a bit loose. Haynes says these should be done up to 45nm.

But how do you use a torque wrench when you have to put an allen key in the middle to stop the piston moving??

Even without using a torque wrench, I'm still struggling to get a good grip with a ring spanner.

What do you do please, any tips?!

chris-stdt

Possibly not the right way but i have used a set of vice grips on the piston to stop it spinning but that was with the strut off the car

j_turnell

I use an old spark plug spanner, fits perfectly, wouldnt worry to much about the torque setting just do them tight.

shalmaneser
I use an old spark plug spanner, fits perfectly, wouldnt worry to much about the torque setting just do them tight.

that's what i did, worked perfectly with a 7mm allen key through the middle. and yeah, just swing them up tight, should be fine anyway tbh.

Rippthrough

Rubber strap-wrench on the top of the shaft.

Tom Fenton

Windy gun

MerlinGTI
Possibly not the right way but i have used a set of vice grips on the piston to stop it spinning but that was with the strut off the car

Shame on you :)

Ring spanner + Allen key or windy gun is what I use... as said above :P

I remember the snap on guy having a pair of nylon jawed waterpump pliers ages and ages ago, Ive asked him for some and he dont know what im on about! These would be good for the job as well.

EdCherry

Used water pump pliers right at the top of the shaft, doesn't really matter to much if you damage it there as it will never compress that much.

Oh I dont care about the dampers I got on there.

number2301

I managed to find an open backed rachet at a local motor factor. You can't change the socket on it though but it's the same size as the original nut. Unfortunately for me both the nut that came with my Billies and the new replacement nuts from Peugeot were a different size so I reused the old ones with some thread lock.

Rippthrough
Used water pump pliers right at the top of the shaft, doesn't really matter to much if you damage it there as it will never compress that much.

Oh I dont care about the dampers I got on there.

Mine do!

Anyway, a bit of cardboard around the shaft and some mole grips will stop any damage if you don't have anything better to hand.