• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

Steering Siezing......

maxi

The 205 seems to be gong stonkigly well at the moment but I am experiencing a bit of a strange problem. After driving the car for a while and giving it a good hiding I find the steering (only at low speeds) will lock in position and be extremely difficult to turn, so much so that you can feel a mechanical resistance. I have put it down to a universal joint going and siezing under heat (lubricant melting?). Has anyone else experienced this problem?

One other symptom to add is when it does it the column almost seems to pull towards the bulkhead and results in something (back of the steering wheel) rubbing on the dash. Very odd.

Any ideas?

Maxi

gti-si

The lower universal joint on mine went and gave similar symptoms on the road at low speeds, but it was accompanied with quite a noticable clicking, followed by the horrible sound of sheer failure.

The latter does sound very odd though, certainly never had anything like that :(

Edited by gti-si

maxi

Its a f***ing strange one! In all the years I have been into 205's ive never experienced this before. I will get a new joint from Pug I think.

Maxi

Miles

Very common problem not just on 205's, 98% of the time it's the outer UJ and can be the inner one too

maxi
Very common problem not just on 205's, 98% of the time it's the outer UJ and can be the inner one too

Cheers Miles. Is it due to it overheating as I suspect? I expect both joints are a fortune new?

Wheres Welshpug the walking parts CD when you need him.....

Maxi

EdCherry

Either £78 or £118 depending on what you got.

GLPoomobile

f*** me Maxi, I thought you only drove in a straight line :(

That's a f***ing joke by the way, so take it in good humour ;) I've just had a few drinks after 2 months of healthy living, and it's gone to my head, so I'm being more of a cock than usual :P

welshpug

I was going to suggest exactly like miles, most likely to be the lower joint, not unknown for the one on the bottom of the column assembly inside the car to have play in it but not to seize like the ones in the engine bay.

fairly certain GSF can supply them, Euro car parts definitely do for £40-£55 depending on which one you need.

4103 96 STRG WHL SHAFT - UNTIL SERIES 23391891 EXCEPT POWER STEERING

4103 A8 STRG WHL SHAFT - SINCE SERIES 23391892 EXCEPT POWER STEERING

4103 98 STRG WHL SHAFT - GTI POWER STEERING

varies from £74 for the late non pas to £158 for the late PAS one.

edit; forgot about the inner one, which is less common to cause issues.

inner joint is part of the column assembly, 4123 J7, shared with the 309, £162 Inc vat!

Edited by welshpug

maxi
f*** me Maxi, I thought you only drove in a straight line :(

That's a f***ing joke by the way, so take it in good humour ;) I've just had a few drinks after 2 months of healthy living, and it's gone to my head, so I'm being more of a cock than usual :P

Straight as a dye me mate! ;):P

I have been known to lift the odd wheel now and again but dont like to admit to it!......(cant afford dumbells)

Welsh my old CYMRU mucka, as per usual your parts CD knowledge is outstanding, when are you having the brain surgery upgrade to know stock levels/avaliability too?

Looks like I have the most expensive version too, f*** it.

Maxi

Edited by maxi

welshpug

:( I take it you have the PAS rack then, £55 from ECP or £162 from pug, less any discounts you can work out of them of course.

Its easy enough once you figure out how the little Frenchmen designed and laid out the system, just a shame I can't get a job with them eh!

At least it'll be one of the most sorted pugs out there ;)

maxi
:( I take it you have the PAS rack then, £55 from ECP or £162 from pug, less any discounts you can work out of them of course.

Its easy enough once you figure out how the little Frenchmen designed and laid out the system, just a shame I can't get a job with them eh!

At least it'll be one of the most sorted pugs out there ;)

Free if I twat him over the head with it and run!

Maxi

jackherer
;) I take it you have the PAS rack then, £55 from ECP

ECP ones have a rubber bush in them like a clio :(

I welded round it to make it solid again but I wouldn't buy another.

maxi

Well the saga continues.....

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the column? I think ive now traced the fault back to the actual bearings within the sleeved part of the column.

Maxi

welshpug
205steeringcolumn.jpg

thirdtimelucky
Well the saga continues.....

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the column? I think ive now traced the fault back to the actual bearings within the sleeved part of the column.

Maxi

Ive got a spare column with the top uj but not the bottom one from a low mileage 1992 auto with no power steering, if it'll fit, Mei? Its yours if you want to come and get it.

maxi
Ive got a spare column with the top uj but not the bottom one from a low mileage 1992 auto with no power steering, if it'll fit, Mei? Its yours if you want to come and get it.

Your a top man! Il pm you my mobile number and Il pop over tomorrow if thats ok?

Maxi

welshpug

should do the trick indeed, that is the only listing above for a Phase 2 205.

scottish_lion

I've been having the same problem on mine intermittently, it really ruins the way it drives. I sprayed a sh*tload of WD40 on the lower U-J today and it drove soooo well. Yours might be too far gone but until I can afford to replace mine I'll be spraying it weekly...

maxi

Well big thanks to Paul (thirdtimelucky) I now have a replacement column fitted. Going to test it in a minute! The upper column is literally the same setup as a rear beam, a shaft with roller bearings. If my column was a rear beam it would have had so much camber the rear wheels wouldnt turn! The shaft was completely worn out, it had a large groove and lip where the upper bearing sits. Another great design by peugeot.

Maxi

welshpug

to be fair, pretty much every manufacturer does steering columns that way, not just Peugeot !

mum's 405 has gone the other way, has play in the top bearing, to be expected at 280k though :D

maxi

The problem has completely gone, thank f***!

Maxi