• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
springs

Changing Wishbone.. Bolt Problems..

springs

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help..

I'm trying to change my drivers wishbone for the MOT. Ive got the ball joint off and the left hand nut and bolt. My problem is with the right hand one. (closest to the sump) Now i have removed the nut but for some reason i cant get the bolt out of the hole. Now i can move the wishbone up and down and wiggle it left and right.

It looks like the Bolt and stuck itself to the sub frame. Ive tried putting a spanner on it and trying to get it to break free but with no joy. It looks tho as the spanner im using is slightly to big for it. I was using a 17mm spanner and also tried a 16 but it was to small. Ive tried some imperial sockets but they don't seem to be the correct ones?

Any ideas on what else i could try as well??

tagy

have you tried hitting the end of it with a big hammer? should just push out with the nut off.

Rupertfinch

No room to get a punch at it? I recall a similar problem on mine. Think I ended up battering the 'bejessus' out of it. Though if it's on the inside section of the wishbone that could be a pain.

Failing that have you tried molegrips (hopefully you'll have a nice pair of Irwins rather than the crap that Draper make).

Anthony

When you move the wishbone up and down, does the bolt turn with it? If that's the case and liberal use of a lump hammer fails to move it, it's probably corroded solid into the wishbone bush, and you'll have a whole deal of fun ahead of you cutting the bolt out...

Tom Fenton

Apply a small amount of grease to the bolt shank when you put it back together :glare:

Cameron

I had this problem, the bolt had corroded to the sleeve of my polybush and the two had become one. I had to cut the subframe up to get it out! :glare:

springs

the bolt doesn't move when the wishbone is moved up and down. Ive hit it as much as i can with a hammer but there isnt that much room there with the sump being in the way.

Anthony

Drop the subframe partly off the car if needs be, not that difficult to do. If the bolt isn't siezed in the wishbone bush sleeve then it shouldn't be too hard to remove.

EdCherry

Had this problem, in the end it was easier, quicker and less hassle to swap the subframe over.

I tried everything, impact gun, 2 huge breaker bars, heat, hammers, hammers, more hammers, punchs etc etc

SurGie

I had this problem and i used a lot of freeze spray all over that area, its cheap N easy and after a good hammering

it came loose. It does depend on how stiff it is, i always try the easiest ways first, if it don't work then

try the many other ways as mentioned above.

miamichris

Get a bigger hammer and swing harder :)

shalmaneser
Get a bigger hammer and swing harder :lol:

I reckon that ones a winner, maybe use a bit of steel bar as a drift try using a bit of penetrating oil as well?

If in doubt, hit it harder.

jeremy

Try placing the rear bolt back in, this does not need to be done up. As you may find that the fron bolt is not resting square and as such will not move, due to the rear of the wishbone being out of allignment. Hope that makes sense.

philfingers

oxy acetylene was the only way on mine. Had to just burn it out. On another one I had the subframe off and got at it with a hacksaw blade. Not much help but just coat it with lots of grease when you put it back together. Makes life so much easier, as does 16 & 18mm ratchet rings spanners

springs

thought i would update this a little.. managed to get the wishbone off. hacked the bulk of it off with the angle grinder then managed to get a B&D scorpion saw and got the bolt off. We did manage to get the bolt moving but it was stuck solid to the inside of the wishbone bush. Ill get a picture of it as it did look rather bad..

but managed to get it all changed and car is now back on 4 wheels :)