• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
WooDooUK

Braking Issues Caused By Wheel Bearing/hub Play

WooDooUK

Hi,

I have spent the evening trying to sort the random brakes on the 205 GTi-6.

Every now and then the pedal just goes to the floor. Last week i swaped the Master Cylinder to no effect.

Whilst checking the front discs tonight i discoved the brand new wheel bearing i fitted last week is now Dead with massive amount of play in it!. so the cause of my brake issues looks like play in the hubs(caussing the disc to push the pads back), also causing wheel bearings to die in 1 week.

It doesn't apear to be the bearing as i have fitted another hub that is in in very good condition and it still has some play in it. (it didn't on the car i took it off).

The only thing i can think of is the drive shafts being incorrect for the car. (the hubs are correct) my other car has a holes in the end of the shaft for a pin and a locking mechanism on it. the other shafts in the car with issues does not.

(oh and yes the hubnut is done up properly :) )

Any ideas what it could be? or how i can check if i have the correct drive shafts? (1989 1.9 GTI)

Thanks

Mark

(doh! the subtitle is incorrect, it should say dead wheel bearing is a symptom)

Edited by WooDooUK

welshpug

is there a washer under the hub nut?

Tom Fenton

Did you torque the driveshaft nut up correctly?

WooDooUK
is there a washer under the hub nut?

Nope.

WooDooUK

Turns out i was correct (first for everything :rolleyes: ) and it was the drive shaft, i fitted a another 1.9 GTI shaft and its all good! no play and the brakes now work properly!

Next question is about the shaft i was having issues with. Any ideas what it is? it diffinatly looks like a 205 gti shaft (apart from the end.)

The one on the left.

post-8238-1248205930_thumb.jpg

welshpug

late citroen saxo/peugeot 106 driveshaft by the looks of the cv joint, but the rest looks right, I know the splines are wrong for a 1.9 hub though, smaller diameter and less of them (same as a 1.6 gti/base model, apart from the taper) so god knows how it actually worked at all!!

Edited by welshpug

dcc

That shaft was a different model, as when I bought the first one, it didnt fit as well as I would have liked, so I asked for a different manufacturer!

Mark, if you want, I should be able to get you a new shaft and maube even a new wheelbearing - Ill give BMF a ring and find out what they can do about it!

The driveshaft I ordered was for a 205gti 1.9 without ABS. It also said that on the side of the package when I collected it, and it fit the hub perfectly, so Mei it cant be a paxo/106 shaft :angry:

welshpug

the shaft might not be, but the CV joint definitely is!