• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
burr_2000

Wet Tyres

burr_2000

I use my 205 for sprints and hill climbs and use yoko 48s medium compound and as soon as it rains its not great. Can anyone recomend tyres to use in the wet (budget) and i was thinking any intermediate road tyres would be a improvement. i am not wanting to buy expensive race wets because for the amount i race it would not be worth it.

thanks,neil

rapidcossie

what price are you paying for the AO48's?

Tom Fenton

Try soft compound A048's. A mate of mine races on A048's in dry or wet conditions. He did try A539's for wets but found them terrible.

However I would say that some proper race wets will be head and shoulders better than anything else.

burr_2000
Try soft compound A048's. A mate of mine races on A048's in dry or wet conditions. He did try A539's for wets but found them terrible.

However I would say that some proper race wets will be head and shoulders better than anything else.

I got the 48s with 106 rallye steelies i bought.

I run my car with a pair of soft compound and a pair of medium and use the softs on back when wet because its the arse of the car that causes me the problems. To be honest i have not been impressed with them in damp conditions. tempted to just get part used eagle F1s or something down them lines.

Tom Fenton

Do you alter your suspension settings for wet use? This can help quite a lot.

burr_2000
Do you alter your suspension settings for wet use? This can help quite a lot.

not much to be honest, i do have adjustable AVOs so i should maybe soften everything front and back and even let out more air for wet tracks. but just looking a the 48s the water displacement on them doent seem the best.

Tom Fenton

They won't deal with deep standing water, but the soft rubber compound will grip a lot better on a damp surface than a harder tyre with more grooves.

burr_2000
They won't deal with deep standing water, but the soft rubber compound will grip a lot better on a damp surface than a harder tyre with more grooves.

What wet tyre do you recommend, also trying to keep to a budget to :)

EdCherry
not much to be honest, i do have adjustable AVOs so i should maybe soften everything front and back and even let out more air for wet tracks. but just looking a the 48s the water displacement on them doent seem the best.

Id possibly put the pressures higher, even though your doing short runs you want your tyres up to temperature for them to work, and in the wet its going to be harder to do that without extra pressure.

welshpug

not much use if you ever use them on the road, but what I have seen done quite a bit to the AO48 is the extra groove added to thread, they look extremely similar to a Toyo R888 when this is done and work extremely well in standing water where the softs wouldn't be able to clear water but would heat up much better.

Race compound (GG I think they are marked) Toyo R888's seemed to work very well on a Damp/wet Brands Hatch :)

burr_2000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXNEVxVAhcc

This is the video i managed to get off a spectator showing how twitchy it is in wet, its my driving aswell though lol.

might try them toyos then.