• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
oz.

Additional Castor

oz.

Right, im on a mission to get a few people thinking about thins and for people to experiment (hopefully, with pics if poss).

As the title hints I'm thinking about additional castor... when you pull the top of the supension strut back to add the castor has anyone thought of adjusting the angle that the lower wishbone swings at.

In my head an image comes about of the castor increasing/decreasing as the suspension goes up and down. Also as the spring is pulled out of the swing line of the wishbone would this put more strain on the bushes and general moving suspension parts, another thing along with the additional wear would pulling the spring out of the line of the wishbone movement would it make the spring less effective?

My question is - is it possible to change either of the wishbone mounts to change the angle of the swing without creating a full on spaceframe?

More funny thoughts come along whe i think of adjusting castor, namely camber adjustment. I have seen a few examples of people making cutsom hubs to fit different driveshafts etc.

What I'm thinking is - why not do what you usually do when increasing the camber (pulling the top of the strut in) but make some custom hubs to return the camber to the norm. Thus meaning that the suspension is more in-line with how the wishbone is swinging...

another way of thinking - you're pushing a car, do you push in the direction the car is going or do you push at an angle to the car...

would you push like A or B?

clicky

Understand?

oz.

nobody understand what i'm on about?

Tom Fenton

I think I know what you mean. If you look at the standard struts the springs actually sit at an angle to give the effect of a rising rate as the suspension moves through its arcs. Its also not as simple as you make out to start moving wishbone pick ups as this will most likely create bump steer by changing the interaction with the steering rack arcs.

welshpug

Osh, I think you need to speak to someone like Colin Satchel, with pencil and paper to hand, but bear in mind that unless its a pure track or fast road car you are quite limited to how far you can take things before you fall foul of some regulation somewhere about moving mounting points, and if you disregard that you'd be quite limited in the people you could sell the car on to.

wracing

do what im doing build a space framed 205 its the only real way to 'adjust' you suspension modifying standard your always going to run in to difficulties :P

Rippthrough

2 degree's more castor with my tubular wishbones :P

Haven't finished the 205 versions yet though so that's you scuppered there. :D

welshpug

well Oz has a 306 and a saxo, so you're catering form him in some way there phill ;)