• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
eob

Gronking When Turning

eob

Greetings :)

The front left (pass side) of my GTi emits a nice gronking sound when you lock the wheels in either direction. It also makes a bit of a knocking over bumps. Considering the car has:

- new lower arms

- powerflex bushings

- new track rod ends

- new rack

- new wheel bearings

- new drop links

...the only thing it could really be at this point is the strut top mounts? Can you purchase these anywhere? I note that GSF have them for £22.50 inc. VAT but what does the kit contain exactly?

swordfish210

First of all congratulations for inventing a new word "Gronking" :) Second, it's most likey to be the topmounts. Third, the kit should contain a new rubber bush, a bearing and 3 shiny M7 nuts to bolt the top mount back in to place.

AndyJ

I bought a pair from GSF recently...this product does not contain nuts :)

swordfish210

LLLLLLAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! Buy them from APD then, they do contain nuts and they're a damn site cheaper than the GSF ones.

eob

APD? :)

PS. Gronking is a serious technical term.

omega

prehaps gronking is a irish word?

i love it

now im going to bed with my wife and hopefull my beds going to be gronking!!!!!

eob

:):D

If she stops gronking let me know how you cured it?

flipperthebushkangaroo

Could this be drive shafts?

DrSarty
Could this be drive shafts?

Maybe. Driveshafts, drop links and top mounts have all been known to gronk.

Tesstuff

Indeed, the gronking on Sarty's 1.6 was cured with replacement of the shafts, top mounts and drop links.

Rich suspected the gronking would disappear with new top mounts and drop links, so they were replaced and sadly it still gronked.

Then the shafts were replaced , which was my suspicion of the original gronk , and now i hear no gronking at all.

Strangely and worryingly i now miss the sound of that gronking :)

DrSarty

We are now gronkless, and hope you too will be EOB. :)

eob

Getting there dudes, getting there :)

The shafts are nearly new so I'm pretty convinced it's the strut tops which haven't been changed in the cars 150k+ history, so I'll order some of those today :D Should have them by mid next week I'd say.

flipperthebushkangaroo

EOB did you ever cure this as mine is "Gonking" now as well(could this be a computer virus????? or some form of 205 swine flu?????), suspect the passenger side drive shaft even though it is only a few hundred miles old

it was a re con from GSF!!!!!

If you did cure it what did the job please

Thanks

Roddie

welshpug

you can get the bearings separately, IIRC they are listed by GSF for the berlingo van, but when you actually search for what they fit, the 205 does come up on the list, they are about £8 each (no nuts or rubber donut)

definitely better than buying the kit for £22.50 odd + vat as I dont think the rubbers included are up to gti specification, you can use BBM replacements there if needs be <_<

I bought a kit from GSF before I found this a few years ago, nuts and a washer were included :angry:

in my experience groinks are limited to top mounts, I don't think I've found a balljoint or droplink that does anything but clunk, but I have come across some seized ones.

Edited by welshpug

DrSarty

Jesus!

You guys really need to be more specific. All of these problems could be completely different, because a 'gronk' is a very different noise to a 'gonk', and a 'groink' is a totally separate noise altogether.

:wub: