• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ben Tearle

309 Beam To 205 - Bracket Orientation?

Guest Ben Tearle

Right then, I've now got the front mounting brackets for my 309 beam, which way do they go round? I've had a look in the haynes manual which show's nothing, I've seen a few pics on here of them on 205 beams - long edge outwards towards the side of the car?

But just wanted to check for a 309 beam as I'm heard people saying you need to turn them 180 degrees?

My brackets are 309/205 1.6 gti one's and the car is a 1.9 gti - I know the 1.9 has slightly different brackets but I've been told the 309/ 205 1.6 gti's will be fine.

If someones got a photo of there 309 beam on a 1.9 gti showing the orientation of the brackets that would be great :-)

309beam009.jpg

Anthony

On a 205 beam, you need to offset the mounts so that they're outwards of center.

On a 309 beam, you need to offset the mounts so that they're inwards of center.

The different offsets and turning the mounts around means that the studs go through the body in the same place, despite the difference in width between the two beam tubes.

SurGie

I had imagined that the mounts that go in the beam, (Gp A or OP) ones fit in any how.

So what do mean mean by offsets, do you have any pictures so i will know

the exact way they should go in a 309 beam for my 205 ?

Cheers

pacey205

Surgie, look at the picture above. The hole is not central between the two studs (hence offset as one stud is further away from the hole than the other). As anthony says above if its a 205 beam then the studs are offset outwards (i.e. the stud furthest away from the hole goes on the wheel side), but if its a 309 beam then they need offsetting the other way (i.e. the stud furthest from the hole goes towards the centre of the beam) as it compensates for the extra width of the beam.

HTH

Michael