• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Arb End Plate Fitting

dch1950

Hi all,

as you may have gathered from my last few posts, I am refurbishing a spare beam that I bought last year!

I have just tidied up the torsion bars (clean splines etc) and the ARB. When checking the end plates I found they were a very snug fit on the ARB splines. I then decided to check the fit and set procedure in the great book of lies.

This is interesting in as much the the RHS plate is pulled on using the M8 bolt method. Can this business of a 1mm gap between the plate and suspension arm be practicable? The ARB (at least the ones I have) plates are both dog-legged slightly to hold the spline section clear of the arm face so really the gap is set by that offset. I suppose you could belt it with the proverbial "brummagem screwdriver" but I don't think so. So if the LHS plate is fitted initially and locked off with it's M8 set screw or bolt then when you pull on the RHS plate at best you can only bottom the ARB in the plate so the gap is fixed by the plate offset as described above. I would be surprised if the ARB moved at all laterally as it's fixed into each ARB plate by it's M8 bolt so measured gaps are a bit superfluous.

Any thoughts on the validity of this?

regards

Dave

welshpug

R/H end of the ARB doesn't bottom out :)

dch1950
R/H end of the ARB doesn't bottom out :D

I did say "at best" because I don't know the relative dimensions. So when you pull the RHS plate on the "best fit" will be when the plate is flush to the arm (and finally bolted up). Given the dog leg in the arm then the gap is fixed by that as the re can be no lateral movement of the ARB as the RHS end is fixed.

regards

Dave