• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Torsion Bar Paint Rings

dch1950

Hi all,

when I stripped my refurb beam and pulled out the torsion bars there weren't any painted rings ( or at least none that I could see). I have read the various threads about "are they handed" or "how can I tell" etc,etc and no real solution has been proffered in terms of identifying bars that you can't see the rings painted on.

Haynes (chapter 9/section 8) refers to markings on the ARB end plates RHS = 3 marks 120 degrees between each and LHS = 2 marks vertically opposite each other.

The same marks are present on my torsion bars (same end for both) on the face where the Torx headed screw fits, or the so called "fixed end". This would seem to be a cunning Gallic code for identifying torsion bars when the paint pot ran out, (or the apprentice was off sick). At least some cosistency might be present here. Thus 3 marks means Driver side bar and 2 means Passenger side.

Any one else seen these ?

regards

Dave