• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gazza 67

6'd 205 Power Steering

Gazza 67

I have very recently brought a 205 gti6 and want to fit power steering if possible? The car is on standard front shocks (soon to be replaced with 306gti ones) but has lowered front springs and it is very heavy. I love Weetabix but the missus hates them and this is her daily runaround!!

Have searched all the forums but can't find mention of fitting one to a 6'd 205.

marksorrento205

Im sure you use the std 205 power steering set up and the high pressure pipe from the gti6 engine between the pump and the rack and it fits straight on

M@tt

using the standard 306 setup works just fine including all the pipes, the only things you will need to do is twist the pump inlet pipe slightly so that it doesn't catch on the bonnet. The 306 PAS fluid coantainer fits perfectly in the driver wing right next to the pump.

DSC00778.jpg

rapidcossie

use a saxo electric pump.

Miles

As matt said, use all the 306 pump etc along with the 205 rack, You don;t even have to mod the High pressure pipe, Just re-route the low pressure side and job done

taylorspug
As matt said, use all the 306 pump etc along with the 205 rack, You don;t even have to mod the High pressure pipe, Just re-route the low pressure side and job done

+1. :D

Gazza 67

Thanks for the advice will now try and find a 306 complete set up. Could i use a 306 rack aswell as the 205 ones are becoming harder to find?

Anthony
Thanks for the advice will now try and find a 306 complete set up. Could i use a 306 rack aswell as the 205 ones are becoming harder to find?

It's possible, but not a straight fit - the rack itself bolts on, but the column UJ will need modifying, and the track rods swapping for 205 ones.

A 309 PAS rack is a straight swap though, and identical to a 205 one with the exception of slightly longer trackrods, and these are still fairly common - there's been several sold on here in the past few weeks.

Gazza 67

Thanks for all the advice.

Have now got a complete 205 set up and 306 pump. I realise that i need to buy a new aux belt to drive the pump but how does it tension or has a tensioner been removed as there currently isn't one on the alternator, its driven straight form the crank pulley.

Bakes100

I rotated the outlet to the reservoir through 180 degrees so it is pointing towards the cockpit, this makes the install neater as you do not need to run the hose near the slam panel / close to belt. Just get a set of mole grips on it and carefully ease it round ;).