• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jason7579

Car Jumps Across Road When Going Over Small Bumps

jason7579

Just wondered if you have any ideas on what may cause it?

My car jumps across the road when going over small bumps / ridges in the road. It doesn't veer left or right when accelerating / slowing down. It also sounds like its knocking a bit when going over bumps, but that may be the loose exhaust pipe.

What would be the most likely problem?

Thanks

pug_ham

Check your rear beam isn't seized solid or your car is so low its sat on the bumpstops.

A few people have posted very similar symptoms when their beam was only of scrap value.

Jack the back of the car up & see if one or both of your wheels drop or easier, open the boot & bounce on the sill to see if the radius arms move smoothly.

If not then a refurbished beam is needed.

Graham.

jason7579

Thanks.

Car doesn't look low, I can just get my hand inbetween wheel and arch.

I have bounced the rear of the car and there is no noise and a fair bit of movement.

I will jack the back up tomorrow to see if the wheels drop.

I did a quick search but all the posts I read had people changing lanes when accelerating or slowing down and my car isn't doing that.

Edited by jason7579

Paul_13

Drop links maybe?

I had this problem, changed them and it stopped to an extent, but turns out the tracking was out slightly.

My Dturbo does this awfully, think it could be the track rod ends are knackered

pug_ham

The knocking could be the droplinks but I'd be surprised if they caused the swerving around.

If its not the seized rear beam could be the hub balljoints holes are ovalled & the bumps are bouncing them around causing it to veer around the road.

Best get underneath it & have a look/ feel/ pry around to see what play you find.

Graham.

jason7579

My Mums got a car lift at her work, I'll see if I can get it up on that one evening and have a proper look.

Thanks

paul205mi16

Check if Hubs have an ovaled ball joint hole.

philfingers

you haven't said but is it lowered at all? if so dramatically?

philfingers

i was thinking along the lines of bump steer due to over low setup and the rack being the incorrect height for the rider height. Rack height is fixed of course but if the ride height is too low it wouldn't be right. As it is the car looks ok. . . . .so you need to egt grubby i think. Mine does the same thing to a degree, it's on PTS tarmac coilovers and is at the lower end of ride height